The best time to look for the latest best small portable generator is before you need one. By the time you need the generator, it will be too late. This device is a backup power source for your electric appliances, because we rely on these devices for our safety, health, comfort, and work. Without any power, they’re useless lumps of metal. The fact of the matter is that even your typical US household loses power about once or twice a year. These outages tend to last an average of 3 hours, and for most people that’s annoying enough. But in cases of hurricanes and other disasters, power outages can last for several days, and those cases can be downright hazardous to your health.
You’re also not limited to just using these generators as backup power for your home either. They can be used for camping trips, so that you’re not totally without any electronic appliances such as lights and smartphones.
These generators can also be used for small businesses, so that work can continue without disrupting your work efficiency. So if you don’t have a portable generator yet, it’s time to get one now. It’s better to have one ready in case you need it. Chances are that sooner or later, you will need them eventually.
Our Picks of 8 Best Small Portable Generator:
Yamaha has been considered as a reliable and trusted brand of generators for a lengthy time. The Yamaha EF2000iSv2 Inverter Generator is one of their well-known creations. This is 2000 watt super quiet inverter generator and much smaller than others. It is fully portable and capable for power more devices at a same time. This brand got popularity because of its longer running time.
You are getting 1600 watts and 2000 starting watts, which may perfectly use for camping trips. This model is look like a bag so that you can bring it easily to anywhere else. This Yamaha EF2000iSv2 Gas Powered Portable Inverter Generator is still fuel efficient. The engine speed is being controlled by the smart throttle. Also it offers clean power that is safe for sensitive electronics. Above all, the EF2000ISV2 is one of the best models they make.
- Very fuel efficient
- Smart throttle control
- Super quiet and smaller than other generators
- Power more devices at a same time
- This design is compact at 2.2 cubic feet
- Inverter with Pulse Width Modulation control
- Weigh less than 45 pounds.
This inverter generator will give you 1700 running watts and 2000 starting watts. So if you want to power various small appliances in a campsite then choosing this Champion 2000-Watt Portable Generator may be a good choice for you. Don’t get in frustration, here is another option also. If that’s not enough to power your appliances, you can just get another generator similar this one. You can pile them together and able to double your wattage instant. Then you’ll able to power your fridge and your bedroom AC. That’s what the reason this model has got popularity so early.
Champion 2000 watts inverter generator has smart economy mode and this operation will give you better fuel efficiency, quieter operations , and longer engine life, and.
- It works at just 53 decibels.
- Up to 9.5 hours of run time.
- Stable electricity for charging smartphone.
- 2 AC household outlets per unit
- Innovative design and Lightweight power
- 3-year warranty
Do you like nonstop power supply? Then you are one of individuals that need to know about the wen model 56200i. People love this model because it is a very soundless portable generator. It delivers clean and quiet power without voltage drops and safe to power smartphones, tablets, laptops, monitors, and other sensitive electronics. It is a very good model with 1600 running watts and 2000 starting watts output.
- lightweight design
- 1600 running watts of power
- Overload protection
- Low fuel automatic shutdown
- Safe enough & free of voltage drops
- Perfect use for hunting, camping, tailgating
- Online User’s Manual
- 2-year warranty
Everybody knows about westinghouse brand because it’s very popular and well known in the portable generator industry. They have launched a new model westinghouse igen1200. You will get this as a small, portable inverter generator. With this model, you can use to supply current to your appliances. This model is lightweight and has a handle to help you carry it anywhere. In outside location like as campsite, job site, or party, occasionally you may need a little extra power. This westinghouse igen1200 portable inverter generator will help you in your emergency need.
- Very easy to use
- Less Noise than Normal Conversation
- Features 2 USB ports
- Up to 9 Hour Run Time
- 1200 peak watts and 1000 running watts
- EPA, CSA, CARB Compliant
- Parallel Capable Using
- 3-Year Warranty
This is the most compact of the Jackery portable generators. It only measures (5.19 x 9.05 x 7.67 inches, while weighing in at just 6.83 pounds. Yet this gives you 240 watts, so you still have power for camping, picnics, fishing trips, or short power outages at home.
This has 2 fast-charging USB-A ports, a standard DC 13.3V port, and an AC outlet. The power comes from a lithium battery pack which you can just recharge. It will take about 8 hours to recharge it through your wall outlet or car socket, and about 10 hours through your solar panel.
An LCD screen will tell you when you’re charging or discharging power and it indicates your remaining battery power. This even comes with a strong built-in LED flashlight that can automatically go into SOS mode in case of emergencies.
- Very compact
- Extremely lightweight
- Easy to recharge
- Can provide power through AC and DC outlets and through 2 USB ports
- LCD screen for generator status info
- Built-in flashlight and SOS light
It’s nicely compact, as its design is already shaped like a bag and the handle is built-in. you can power this in several ways, starting with a solar panel if you’re outdoors and you have one.
There’s a nice LCD screen that shows you how much power you have left in your generator. You can also power this with your car socket too for road trips. Or you can use an AC adaptor to power this through a wall socket, and you get a full charge in just 4 hours.
- 150 watts of power per hour
- 2x 120V AC outlets, a 12V DC output, and 2x 5V USB ports
- Compact design for portability
- Screen shows available power left
- Shockproof shell
- Built-in cooling fan
- Noiseless operation
- Can be powered by solar panel, car socket, or wall outlet
When you’re going on a camping trip, you don’t really need to power up a whole bunch of appliances. You need only a generator that can power a few devices you can’t do without. Also, you have to carry that generator to your camping site, and a large and heavy generator is just too troublesome.
That’s why so many go with this Picowe generator. It’s just as small as an old-fashioned portable radio, measuring 10.2 by 3.9 by 6.2 inches. It’s also extremely lightweight at less than 6 pounds, so you can bring it anywhere easily.
With its 250W power, you can power all types of necessary devices. You get 3 DC Output Ports, an AC outlet, and 2 USB ports. You can in turn recharge this generator by using a solar panel or through a wall socket.
- 350W Portable power station
- 3 different outputs: AC, DC, and USB
- Compact measurements of 10.2 by 3.9 by 6.2 inches
- Weighs less than 6 pounds
- Fully charged through wall outlet in just 8 hours
- Can also be charged through a solar panel or through the car charger
- Comes with a quiet cooling fan
- Great for camping trips
You only get 200 watts, but for many that’s more than enough to power the smartphones and laptops that’s so important for so many people. What’s more, you can also power a fan when it’s too warm while you’re camping. This does have its own cooling fan to keep it from overheating.
This looks like a small hard-case bag, with a large handle on top to accommodate even large hands. It’s only 8.3 inches long, 3 inches wide, and 8.1 inches high. With its 4.2-pound weight, it’s extremely portable.
Yet it’s enough to power a 3W lamp for 53 hours, or a 50W laptop for at least 3 hours. This works for tailgate parties too, as it’s able to power an electric cooler for about 4 hours.
You can power this with a solar panel if you have one, though it’s more usual to use a wall charger. With this wall charger, it should only take you about 9 hours to get it fully recharged. That’s just an overnight task.
It still has some quality features. Click here.
- Very compact and easy to carry
- Extremely lightweight
- Enough power for smartphones, tablets, laptops, and even other camping accessories
- Has an LCD screen power indicator
- Can be recharged through a solar panel or a wall charger
- Protects against short circuit, overcharging, over or low voltage, overcurrent, and overloading.
This looks like a nice toolbox with an attached handle, so you can easily guess that it’s portable. It only weighs 22 pounds too. With this, you can charge not just laptops and smartphones but also those nifty appliances that make life easier on camping trips and outdoor parties. You will be able to power speakers, a mini-fridge, and even a coffee machine or blender.
You will get 4 USB ports, so there’s no need to argue as to who gets to recharge their smartphones and laptops first. Also get 2 AC outlets along with DC ports. There’s even a 12V/10A car port for your in-car devices.
You don’t need to use gasoline either, so this won’t be noise or emit fumes. Instead, you can use a solar panel if you have one. It also comes with an AC adapter so you can fully recharge this in 5 hours. You’ll know when to recharge, since the LCD screen shows the power station’s status.
- 1000 watts of available power
- Portable design with 22 pounds of weight
- Measures only 16 by 10 by 6.4 inches
- AC and DC outlets, plus 4 USB ports
- Has built-in cooling fan running at less than 36 decibels
- Has fuse protection too
- Other protection for short circuit, overcharging, overload, overvoltage, over-discharge, and extreme temperature
- Can be charged through wall socket in 5 hours, or with a solar panel
Bring this with you to a campsite, and this can power your smartphone and laptop, as well as your lights and your electric cooler. It has indicators telling you how much power you have left, and you have several options regarding how to recharge this power generator. You can charge this beforehand at home through your wall socket, or you can use your car to charge this through the car socket. If you have a solar panel, you can use it to power this too.
- 296 watts
- Compact and easily portable
- Lightweight at about 8 pounds
- Can be charged through a wall outlet, car socket, or solar panel
- Can power appliances through USB port or through AC and DC outlets.
- Has LED lights for emergency illumination
- Protection against extreme temperature, overvoltage, and under-voltage
With 150Wh, you’re not going to use this to power your house. Instead, you’ll bring this with you so you can power various items on camping trips, tailgate parties, or picnics. That’s because it really is portable, as it is compact with measurements of 7.3 by 4.3 by 4.7 inches. It weight less than 3 pounds, and it even has a convenient handle.
This is actually a solar generator, so there’s no need to worry about gasoline fumes. You can also recharge this from a wall outlet or even in your car’s 12V socket. With this, you can make sure you have power for your smartphone, and you can work with your laptop in the park or in your favorite coffee shop.
This is basically a student’s dream portable generator. It should even be enough to power a dorm’s few appliances if there’s a short power outage.
- Extreme compact
- Very lightweight
- Comes with a convenient handle
- Can be charged by solar panel, wall socket or car socket
- Features 2 AC outlets, 4 DC outlets (180W max), and a Quick Charge 3.0 USB port among 4 USB ports
- Has power level indicators
- Comes with emergency lights
Now this powers more than just your laptop and smartphone. You can now go with a few more amenities for your camping trips, including having a mini-fridge. However, just because it offers more power doesn’t mean it’s no longer portable. It’s not all that large at 19.5 by 17.5 by 11.1 inches. A strong person (or a couple of guys) can also deal with its 51-pound weight.
It’s a gas-powered model with a 1600W rating, with a maximum output of 2000W. You can obtain your power from its 120V Residential or DC12V 8A sockets or from the USB port. On full capacity you get 4 full hours of use, though in Eco mode you can get it running overnight for 13 to 15 hours. If you have a lot of appliances to use without a nearby electrical socket, this can be the best generator for you.
- Standard AC120V/60Hz and DC12v/8A outlet plus USB port
- 1600W capacity
- EPA & CARB compliant
- 2-year limited service and technical support
- Quiet enough at lowest Eco level at just 53 decibels and 68 decibels at full
- Indicator lights for power overload and oil maintenance
- Durable with low vibration
- Compact for portability
Benefits of Using a Small Portable Generator:
Here are some of the ways you can use the best small portable generator:
- You can use them to power your heater in winter or a fan (or AC) during the summer.
- If you’re working at home, you can use it to continue working.
- You can make sure your home security system doesn’t stop operating.
- Food won’t have to spoil as your fridge keeps on running.
- You will get warnings from news reports.
- You will able to keep your smartphone charged.
- These can be used for outdoor activities, such as for camping or for beach bonfires.
- These can also be used for small delis or for contractor worksites to enable power tools to work.
Buying Guide – How to Choose the Best Small Portable Generator?
If you’re picking a small portable generator, here are the factors you need to consider:
- Watts. This will determine what kinds of appliances you can power and for how long. If you have more than 1500W, you can even power your AC through hot summer nights. For many though, it’s enough to get 200 watts or so to power smartphones and laptops, as well as a few lights.
- Output sockets. This will determine how many appliances you can run or charge at once. If you have a single USB port, then you need people to wait their turn to have their smartphones and laptops charged. But when you have plenty of USB ports, everyone can have their smartphones charged at the same time.
The same goes for the AC and DC outlets. Each outlet you have offers you another appliance you run with the generator.
- This refers to the dimensions of the generator as well as its weight. The main issue is to balance the number of watts with the size and weight of the generator. The more watts you get, the less portable the generator becomes.
- Gas or lithium battery powered? Gasoline offers efficient power, but it’s noisy and you need proper ventilation for the fumes. Lithium batteries are more convenient for many, but you will need to recharge the generator overnight first.
- It should have protections against overloading and overcharging, along with other issues. It should also be hardy enough to be brought to a camping site.
How Big of a Portable Generator Do I Need?
Some generators are very large, and they’re mostly for heavy-duty use at home or at work sites. They’re hardly portable, and for many people they’re too expensive. But a small portable generator can be in just the right size for your needs.
So how big should your portable generator be? It all depends on your needs and preferences, as well as your budget. Here are your options:
1. Standard portable generator. These can provide as much as 7,500 watts of power, and some offer enough power to run all the necessary appliances at electric devices in your home.
However, some of these generators aren’t easily portable since they can weigh 300 pounds. They can be very expensive, as well as quite noisy.
2. Midsized inverters. These are the more lightweight portable models that only weigh about 150 pounds or so. Consequently, they’re also not able to provide as much power as standard portable generators, though they can still give you 3,500 watts.
That should be enough for you to run your fridge as well as a few lights, plus a TV, some fans, or maybe even a heater or an air conditioner. These inverters are quite efficient, and they’re comparatively silent when operating.
3. Recreational inverters. These offer just enough power at 2,000 watts to let you run your fridge, laptop, a few lights, and a smartphone charger. Maybe you can squeeze in your home security system, but that’s about it.
The good news is that these are actually portable as they only weigh 60 pounds or so. They’re very quiet, and there aren’t any installation costs.
We can’t choose the generator that’s best for you. However, hopefully we’ve been able to give you several great options that may suit your needs.
Whether you’re just looking for a simple phone and laptop charger or one that can make camping a lot more fun, you can find the finest small portable generator in the list we’ve compiled for you!