It’s not surprising if you’re looking for the best Generac portable generator for outdoor or home use. It’s a well-established brand with a great reputation, and they do have a wide range of generators to choose from. If you do your research right about the best portable generators reviews, you will usually find the Generac brand mentioned as one of the best. This is because of Generac’s long history with making generators since 1959. The company was the one that came up with an engine that was specifically for generators, and ever since they’ve excelled in research, development, and production.
Our Picks of 8 Best Generac Portable Generator
Use Google to find Top Rated portable power generators and you’ll drown in the number of options available. To keep you from being overwhelmed, we’ve already made up a list for you of 8 best generac portable generator reviews in the Generac lineup.
If portability and quiet operations are your main concerns, but you still want ample wattage, you should go with iQ2000. That’s because you still get 1600 running watts, which is a lot more than the paltry 300 to 500 watts that other small generators are offering.
This super Quiet Small Generator can still work as an emergency backup power for homes. In case the wattage is insufficient for your needs, you can always get another one and connect the two to double your available watts.
- This can work very quietly, compared to other generators. That’s because it uses a special alternator.
- You have 3 modes of operation (Turbo, Standard, and Economy) depending on your needs.
- At 50% load, this can run for almost 6 hours. At 25% load, this extends to almost 8 hours.
- It’s quite portable as it’s designed like a bag and it only weighs 46 pounds.
- It’s very easy to use, with a simple dial and various status indicators.
This offers a bit more watts if having 1600 running watts falls short of your needs. Now you have 2000 running watts and 2200 starting watts so you get more room to operate. The power is clean and stable, so it can be used for sensitive electronics like smartphones and laptops.
As it’s a small unit, it’s great for various outdoor parties and for camping. It’s not bulky and the handle is comfy to grasp. The weight isn’t bad either, and in fact it’s actually 40% lighter than similar generators.
This comes with the Flex Power Operation Modes, so you can pick either High mode or Eco mode. The High mode is best when you’re powering large loads, but for lighter loads you can switch to Eco to reduce the noise levels and save fuel.
- This comes with automatic low oil shutoff to protect the engine.
- You’re protected from overload damage by the electronic circuit breakers.
- The LED indicator lights give you an idea of how the generator is working.
- It weighs a paltry 52 pounds, and it’s designed to be carried easily.
Now with 5500 running watts, you have enough to power a long list of appliances at home if you ever have a power outage. You can use this for really fun tailgating parties and camping trips, and this can even be used for power tools at a job site. This comes with wheels and handles, so it doesn’t have to stay in one place indefinitely.
The fuel tank can contain 6.7 gallons of gasoline, and at half load this can run up to 10 hours. That makes it great for night use when you’re sleeping. When you check up on it during the day, you can look over the hour meter and maintenance alerts. Other safety features include circuit breakers and auto low oil shutoff.
All these features demonstrate how long this generator can last as most people can use it with no trouble.
- With 5500 running watts, you can get very comfortable at home during a power outage or at a campsite.
- The run time can be long enough for the generator to run overnight while you sleep.
- With plenty of safety features, this should last a good long while.
Sometimes you want to use a generator for your fan just to make you feel comfy overnight. Or maybe you just don’t want to deal with constant refueling. This is the best Generac portable generator for you. At 25% load, this can run for about 10 hours and 45 minutes.
Many people don’t really need all that much power in their portable generator, when they only want to power a handful of appliances. This does give you 1700 running watts along with 2200 starting watts. That’s more than enough for many campsites and beach parties.
It’s compact as well, and it is lightweight too. It shouldn’t be hard to bring it with you, unlike the huge and heavy home generators.
- The power is stable enough to let you recharge laptops and smartphones. You also have USB ports for this purpose.
- If the 1700 running watts aren’t enough, you can get another one have them both work in parallel for double the watts.
- There’s a simple to use dial to start it, along with status lights for overload, power, and low oil alerts.
With 3250 running watts and 3750 starting watts, this is not really a small generator. It has more than enough watts for a home backup use and all your small appliances at a campsite. What’s great about this is that even at half load, you can get close to 10 hours of run time. The fuel tank does have a gauge so you can tell when you’re running out of gas.
It’s still a portable model, as the wheels and the handle make it easy to move around. It’s also easy to start, with a simple on/off switch to get it started. It comes with features that you don’t find in basic portable generators, yet it remains affordable.
- With 3250 running watts, this is great for home use or for outdoor events.
- It can run while you sleep without having to worry about refueling.
- This has circuit breakers protecting the outlets from overload.
- It also has automatic low oil shutdown.
It’s sometimes mind-boggling to realize that a monster of a generator like this is still considered a portable generator. You have convenient handles and wheels to enable you to easily maneuver this around a campsite, worksite, or home.
But the fuel tank is huge with its 16-gallon capacity. This is a monster, alright. It offers 15000 running watts and 22500 starter watts. This is fit for a mansion, and for a regular household it’s as if there’s no power outage at all. It’s the best portable generators over 10000 watts if you want to get as many watts as you want.
This is quite heavy, so you may need a ramp if you’re going to transport it. But at a worksite or a home, you can easily move it around.
- The special engine is designed for high performance and low maintenance.
- With 15000 available watts, you can probably run all your appliances at once.
- You can also use this for various outdoor events like concerts.
- The outlets are protected by a circuit breaker, along with many other safety measures.
- It has a muffler that reduces the noise level considerably.
Larger homes have more appliances. That means you need more watts from your generator. Generac knows this, which is why they have a generator with 10,000 running watts and 12500 starting watts. This uses a special engine meant specifically for generator use.
It doesn’t seem big though, and in fact it can still be considered a portable generator. That’s primarily due to the wheels and the fold-down handles. The fuel tank is actually quite large at 10 gallons, and you can get 10 hours of run time while using up 5000 of the running watts.
This comes with all the advanced features you normally get from Generac, with convenient features and safety protections. You can also use this generator for construction sites, as you’re able to use the watts for your power tools.
- With 10,000 watts of available power, it can run just about any and all of your appliances at once.
- You get 10 hours of run tome at half load.
- The foldable handle makes it easier for storage, while the wheels make the generator easy to move around.
- It has am illuminated LED panel that lets you monitor your power usage.
- The single start button lets you start it at once.
This offers even more watts that can truly take care of many of your home appliances as well as the various lights and appliances you may want to run at a campsite. It’s easy enough to use this outdoors, as it has folding lockable handles and huge wheels.
In fact, it’s easy to use it at home too. There’s a single touch electric start feature, and a large fuel tank that can give you 10 hours of running time at half load. This also has the standard Generac safety features like automatic low oil shutoff and circuit breakers. The 5 sockets here are also protected by covers so rain and debris can’t get in.
- The 6500 running watts should be able to power all the appliances you need to use. These include all your bedroom air conditioners along with yours security systems.
- This can run for 10 hours at half load.
- It’s easy to use, and it has electric start.
- Safety features include circuit breakers and auto low oil shutoff.
Benefits of Generac Portable Generators
So why should you insist in Generac generators? There are many good reasons for this:
- The brand has been around for more about 60 years now, and that’s virtually forever in the home generator industry. Not very many brands have been around that long. Generac has managed to thrive and rise to the top echelons of the industry by providing what consumers want and by producing generators that bolstered the brand’s reputation.
- These generators are often very simple to use. That’s always a good thing with any device that involves electricity and fuel. You can’t add complications that can lead to rather unfortunate accidents.
- Generac generators are also very well made. That’s why you may find that their warranties are often longer than your standard 1-year warranty.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Generac Generator
Picking a generator from the Generac line is an easy—and very popular—decision. But how do you pick one over another? While they may all be Generac generators, you need to base your decision on the following factors:
Basically, you need to have a very clear idea of which appliances you will want to power with your generator. Each appliance will then need a certain number of running watts and starting watts. You then have to add up all those figures so you will have a good idea of the minimum number of watts you will need to run all of them together.
The fact of the matter is that the price of the generator may be important, but it’s secondary to your wattage requirement. This means that if you need 3000 watts from your generator but you’re only able to afford a 1000W generator, it’s best that you wait. You should save up for the more expensive generator rather than settle for one that doesn’t meet your requirements.
This means taking into account the size, weight, and features like wheels. Generac generators don’t have to be used exclusively for home use. They can be used for camping, beach parties, and tailgating celebrations. But generators for outdoor use can’t be too large and heavy since they’d be too difficult to bring to the site otherwise.
Some generators can run long enough that you can use them overnight without having to watch over them to refuel. This means you can find generators that can run for at least 8 hours straight.
Others, however, are smaller. While this means they are easier to bring to outdoor events, they may not be able to work for as long without refueling. They’re for parties, and every now and then you need to check the fuel tank to see that you’re not running low.
Keep in mind, however, that your load will also determine your run time. Using up all the watts that the generator can offer will result in a much shorter time than if you only have a 50% or 25% load.
It can be bothersome if you have a generator that’s too noisy. But the bigger the generator is, the noisier it can get. While Generac generators on the whole are quieter than regular generators, it may be best if you position the bigger ones much farther away from where you normally are when you’re using them.
Electric or Recoil Start
You may think that all generators need to be started by pulling quickly on a cord, but many Generac generators offer an electric start option. You can just push a button and it will start. This will require you to make sure the battery for the electric start will be recharged when needed. You may also have to pay more for the bonus feature.
These can be the various meters and gauges that come with the generator, and they also include the info shown on the built-in LED displays. It’s best if you can tell at a glance how much fuel and oil are left so that you can refill the fuel tank when needed.
How Long Will These Generators Last?
When it comes to durability, Generac generators are very well regarded. It is standard practice to offer a 1-year warranty for generators in the industry, but often Generac will provide a warranty for 2 years. That means it’s much more durable than your usual generator.
At least with these 8 options, you may now find it a bit easier to find the best portable generator for your needs. It’s not a coincidence that we’ve set up the list according to the available wattage, because this is the prime consideration. You need a generator that provides the wattage you need.
Just remember that the more watts you get, the more you pay. You also have to endure greater bulk and weight, but you also will have to deal with the noise. The bigger ones will be the noisier ones.