The beauty of an RV is mobility. If you love to go on vacations, you’ll love an RV. With it, you always be on the move.
The biggest advantage of an RV is that it combines the mobility of vehicle with homely comfort. So, we all love RVs. However, power supply is always an issue with it.
Because we love RVs and we also know about generators, we decided to do a comprehensive review of the best portable inverter generators for RV.
We had to test more than 40 portable generators before we selected the best ten. In choosing the generators, we considered the factors below:
- Ease of use.
- Availability of an electric start.
- Availability of a starter battery.
- Huge fuel tank.
- High starting and running wattage.
- High Amazon rating.
- Long hours of operation.
- Availability of wheels for easy mobility.
So, virtually all the generators reviewed here have all the features listed above. This is why we assure you that if you pick any of them, you’ll be glad you did. So, let’s get to the nitty-gritty of the review
Top 10 Best Selling Products:
|Champion Power Equipment RV Ready Inverter||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|WEN DF400i Super Quiet Inverter Generator for RV||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|WEN 56200i 2000-Watt Gas Powered||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Westinghouse iGen2200 Portable Inverter Generator||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Generac 6866 iQ2000 Super Quiet||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|PowerSmart Inverter Generator Gas Powered||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|GENKINS Portable Inverter Generator||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|GENMAX Portable Inverter Generator RV Ready||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|A-iPower SUA2000iV 2000 Watt||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|BILT HARD Quiet Inverter Generator 4500 Watt||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Our Picks of 10 Best Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generators for RV/Camping:
You know we all like to put the generator far away from us to reduce its noise. The quest for easy access prevents us from putting it far away.
But since this one has a remote control that can work from a long distance, you should be able to place the gen as far from you as possible.
It also has electric start. In addition, we love the noise level of this device. Its noise is relatively lower. The machine operates at 58dBA. Its starting wattage is 3,100 watts, and its running wattage is 2,800 watts.
At quarter load, this machine will run for 8 hours. Also, it comes with a 3-year limited warranty. Its cast-iron sleeve makes for durability, and it also has a low-oil shut down feature.
The feature shuts down the device when the engine oil level is low. Its fuel tank can take 1.6 gallons of fuel. Did we also let you know that it has a pair of wheels? Yes, its pair of wheels works with its built-in carry handles to make it easy for you to move it around.
It might get you excited to learn that the machine comes with two 12v-batteries. Also, it weighs 96.6 pounds, and it has an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars.
- The device works with a remote control, even at 80 feet away.
- Its package comes with two 12v-batteries.
- You can easily push or pull it around because of its never-flat wheels.
- Its fuel tank can take up to 1.6 gallons of fuel.
- You will also love its low-oil shutdown feature.
- The device has a 3-year limited warranty.
- Its starting wattage is 3,100 watts.
- And its running wattage is 2,800 watts.
- It has an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars.
- Also, its noise level is relatively low.
Its noise level is between 48dBA and 57dBA, depending on where you place it. Despite its small look, this machine can output 4,400 watts. So, it is ideal for RVs.
Also, it can run for 4 hours to 9.6 hours on a single tank, depending on how much load you put on it.
Due to its design, it can still run for a while, even when the fuel supply has been shut off. The weight of 40 pounds is great for the kind of power output this device generates.
So, you should not be surprised at his high Amazon rating. Apart from this one, only a few generators have earned a rating as high as 4.7 stars.
- The machine has a very low noise level.
- Its outputs 4,400 watts.
- The device can run for about 4 hours to 9.6 hours, depending on the amount of load on it.
- It has an Amazon rating of 4.7 stars.
- The unit weighs only 40 pounds.
- It can still continue working even when the fuel supply is shut off.
- It has better airflow, and this keeps its engine and other key components cool.
- The machine is portable compared to others.
The first thing we noticed about this generator is a high rate of full efficiency. It will conserve your fuel more than others. Its carry handle makes it easy to move it around. Also, it has two safety features that you will like.
The first safety feature is the low-oil shutdown. This feature shuts down the gen-set when the level of the engine is too low. The second feature is the overload protection.
When you plug an appliance that it cannot power to it, the generator will just go off without getting damaged and without damaging the appliances plugged into it.
Also, it weighs only 48 pounds and it has an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars. In addition, we love its looks. The machine is visually appealing.
- The generator has a versatile panel that has 120V sockets, USB ports, 12V DC receptacles, and others.
- It is fuel-efficient. So, it will conserve your fuel.
- An in-built carrying handle makes it easy to lift the machine.
- Its low-oil shutdown feature stops the engine from running when the oil level is low.
- It also has overload protection.
- A weight of 48 pounds is fantastic.
- It has an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars.
- The generator has a starting wattage of 2,000 watts and a running wattage of 1,600 watts.
The first thing we noticed about this gen-set is its low noise level, and we are sure that you will like it too.
Its noise level is only 52dBA. Also, you will love its weight of 46.3 pounds. You should be able to move it around.
In addition, a starting wattage of 2,200 watts and a running wattage of 1,800 watts should be able to power virtually all the appliances in your RV or home.
Apart from the two 120V outlets, it also has two USB outlets with which you can charge your smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices.
When you fill its 1.2-gallon fuel tank to the brim, the gen-set should be able to run for up to 12 hours. One reason for this is its high fuel efficiency. It is certified by CARB, USFS, and EPA.
That’s why it can be shipped to California. Also, it comes with a 3-year warranty. An Amazon rating of 4.4 stars confirms its quality.
- The noise level of this generator is 52dBA.
- It weighs only 46.3 pounds.
- The starting wattage is 2,200 watts.
- And the running wattage is 1,800 watts.
- Its fuel tank can take about 1.2 gallons of fuel.
- The generator is certified by EPA, USFS, and CARB.
- It is highly fuel-efficient.
- With a full tank, it will run for 12 hours.
This is another super-quiet inverter. You don’t have to place it far away because of the noise. When you fill its 1.06-gallon fuel tank to capacity, the gen will run for up to 5.7 hours at 50% load and 7.7 hours at 25% load.
It has three modes of operation, and they are Turbo, Standard, and Economy. Although all the modes are fuel-efficient, its economy mode is the most efficient.
We love its fuel gauge with which you can monitor its fuel level. It is also very easy to start. Also, its power bar displays how much wattage is being used. This will give you an idea of what is left.
It weighs 46.2 pounds and it has an Amazon rating of 3.6 stars. However, what really made us consider it for review are its innovative status indicators.
First, it will indicate when the fuel is running low. It will also alert you when the engine oil level is low. Most importantly, there are indicators for overload and overheating.
- This machine can run for 5.7 hours at half load.
- And it can run for 7.7 hours at quarter load.
- It has three operational modes – Turbo, Standard, and Economy.
- The unit is fuel-efficient.
- It has an Amazon rating of 3.6 stars.
- A weight of 46.2 pounds is fair for a gen-set of its capacity.
- Its fuel tank can take 1.06 gallons of fuel.
- The generator will alert you for low fuel, low oil, overload, and overheating.
We also love its clean power and low fuel consumption. Although it makes some noise, the noise is lower than the noise of many brands of generators.
It has numerous types of outlets. You can use any of its household outlets, 12V outlets, and a USB port. Since it weighs 96 pounds, you may not be able to carry it around easily. Don’t worry. You don’t even need to lift it since it has a pair of wheels.
We also need to tell you about its 2-year warranty. You can monitor its performance statistics and maintenance reminders through its LCD screen. Also, an Amazon rating of 3.9 stars is commendable.
- The generator is ideal for RVs.
- Mobility is easy since it comes with a couple of wheels.
- At quarter load, it can run for 10 straight hours.
- It has a 1.5-gallon fuel tank.
- There’s an LCD screen that displays necessary statistics and reminds you of routine maintenance check.
- Its noise level is also low.
- The machine’s fuel consumption is impressive.
- When you buy it, you’ll enjoy its 2-year warranty.
We have seen a lot of generators, and we thought we had seen it all until we heard and found out that this machine can run for 15 straight hours at half load.
That is more than half of a day. You know what dazzled us more? At quarter load, it will run even longer. However, you must fill its 3.4 gallon-fuel tank to the capacity to achieve that.
Another joker of this device is that you can control it 80 feet away with its remote control. Also, a 63dBA noise level is fair for a generator of this size. When you place it 10 feet away, its noise level is 63dBa.
You can place it further away to reduce the noise further. A combination of extendable handle and a couple of never-flat wheels will make mobility a breeze.
Also, its multiple types of sockets mean it can power all kinds of equipment and also charge your mobile devices. It has been certified by CSA, EPA, and CARB. Also, it comes with a 1-year warranty.
- This machine has been certified by CSA, EPA, and CARB.
- It generates 63dBA noise level when you place it 10 feet away.
- The device comes with a 1-year warranty.
- Its remote control works even 80 feet away.
- A combination of extendable handle and a couple of never-flat wheels will make mobility easy.
- Its fuel tank can take up to 3.4 gallons of fuel.
- With this machine, you get a starting wattage of 4,000 watts.
- And a running wattage of 3,500 watts.
This machine is small but powerful. As they say, it was designed for safety. Initially, we didn’t take it seriously, but when we found out that it does a starting wattage of 4,000 watts and a running wattage of 3,500 watts.
At 23 feet away, it produces a 68dBA noise level. With a filled tank, it can go on for up to 12 hours at half load. Also, it has several 120V outlets for your home or RV appliances.
One safety feature of this unit that we appreciate is the volt guard that prevents voltage spikes. It also has a voltmeter with which you will monitor the power output at a glance.
It has an easy recoil start, low-oil shut off feature, and a weight of 99.2 pounds. With its cold start technology, it will start easily, even in the coldest weather.
Also, its cast-iron sleeve makes for durability. Most of all, it has an Amazon rating of 4.6 stars. Finally, it has a 3-year limited warranty.
- Volt guard prevents voltage spikes.
- A starting wattage of 4,000 watts can handle many appliances.
- A running wattage of 3,500 watts isn’t bad.
- You will also enjoy its 3-year limited warranty.
- It has an easy recoil start too.
- There’s cold start technology that makes it start in a cold atmosphere.
- An Amazon rating of 4.6 stars is great.
- It has a cast-iron sleeve that makes for durability.
However, this gen-set is superior to the one above because it runs on both gasoline and propane.
This gives users two fuel options. It has a fuel tank that can take up to 3.6 gallons. At 50% load, this generator will work for up to 10 straight hours. Also, a noise level of 69 dBA is fair for a generator of this capacity.
Although it comes with a recoil start, you can handle it easily. You should also know about its 1-year limited warranty. In addition, it weighs only 90 pounds.
It weighs about 94 pounds and it comes with an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars. Also, we can assure you of the durability of this device. Many of its users have confirmed that.
- The machine has a starting wattage of 4,000 watts.
- It also has a running wattage of 3,500 watts.
- At half load, it can run for up to 10 hours.
- It weighs 94 pounds.
- Its noise level is only 69dBA.
- The generator comes with a 1-year limited warranty.
- Having an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars confirms that it is a great product.
- Its fuel tank can take up to 3.6 gallons.
You can monitor its maintenance time, voltage, and oil volume through its multifunctional digital meter that displays it. We also found out that it conserves fuel so much.
You will love its noise level. In fact, this generator is one of the quietest ones that we have come across. With a noise level of 52dBA, your neighbors will appreciate your choice of inverter.
This generator has one of the easiest recoil starts. Its weight of 58 pounds is also commendable. Since it is equipped with RV adapter socket, we will say that the generator is ideal for your RV.
Through its LCD screen, you can keep tabs on its output, frequency, total running hours, volts, and maximum power. Also, it has both overload and low oil alarms. Finally, this device has an Amazon rating of 4.7 stars.
- This machine has an Amazon rating of 4.7 stars, and that is great.
- Its starting wattage is 2,300 watts.
- And its running wattage is 1,800 watts.
- A pair of wheels makes mobility super easy.
- It has a super-low noise level.
- A weight of 58 pounds isn’t fair for this inverter.
- It has an overload alert.
- And it also gives a low-oil alert.
Can an Inverter Generator Power an RV?
Yes, of course. An inverter generator can power the household appliances in your RV. Your RV will feel like a home if you install an inverter generator. With it, you’ll be able to power a TV, a small fridge, a coffee maker, a small air conditioner, and other smaller appliances. You can also charge your laptop and phone with the generator.
What Type of Generator Is the Best for an RV?
For several reasons, the inverter generators are the best for your RV. They don’t just generate DC current, but they also convert it to AC for the appliances in your RV. And many of them have both DC and AC outlets. That way, you can plug DC appliances into DC outlets, and plug AC appliances into AC outlets.
They do not need the installation of any solar panels. So, you can start your inverter generator any time of the day as long as you have fuel in it. These inverter generators come in various sizes. You’ve got to choose that size that suits the electrical needs of your RV.
Also, most modern inverter generators are built with enclosed bodies to keep their noise under control. That’s why they are no longer as noisy as they used to be. In addition, many of them have smart microprocessors that respond to certain signals. So, they are resistant to high voltage, high current, overloading, and shut circuits. When any of these anomalies occur, they’ll shut down instantly.
What Is the Best Size Generator For an RV?
There’s no single best size for every RV. It depends on all the electrical appliances in your RV. So, you have to calculate your power needs or power consumption. To point you in the right direction, here are the wattages of common appliances.
- A coffee maker uses 900 watts
- A hair dryer uses 1,000 watts
- A laptop uses 250 watts
- A microwave uses 1,000 watts
- A toaster uses 1,150 watts
- A TV set uses 200-600 watts
- An air conditioner uses anywhere from 1,400 to 2,400 watts of electricity.
- An RV Refrigerator uses 400 to 1000 watts.
Remember that appliances that use a compressor require twice their normal wattage to start up and shut down. Air conditioners and refrigerators belong to the category.
The power ratings of some appliances are written in amps and not watts. You need the formula below to help you with the conversion.
- Amps = Watts / Volts
- Watts = Volts x Amps
The standard in most countries is 120 volts, so if an appliance requires 5 amps. You can convert it to watts.
Watts = Volts x Amps
Watts = 120 volts x 5 amps
The answer is 600 watts.
You may be wondering why you have to convert it to watts. This is simply because the capacities of inverter generators are rated in watts and kilowatts. Add up all the watts together and this will give you an idea of the size of generator to buy.
What is Better for an RV Inverter or Generator?
The truth is that none of them is better than the other. They both have their advantages over the other. Let’s quickly list the advantages of inverters.
Benefits of an Inverter to RVs
- It does not require fueling.
- It does not make noise.
- An inverter requires little or no maintenance.
- It is super quiet.
- You need to install solar panels.
- You need a battery bank to store power.
- The batteries don’t last as long as solar panels.
Benefits of a Generator to RVs
- It requires no solar panels.
- It requires no batteries.
- Just fuel it and start it.
- Each time you start it, you’ll be burning fuel.
- You need to service the generator and change its engine oil regularly.
- It is quite noisy.
There you are. Compare their advantages and disadvantages and choose a more suitable option for your lifestyle and RV.
How Do You Hook Up an Inverter Generator To an RV?
Another advantage of an inverter generator is that it does not require much to install. The product can be described as plug-and-play.
Step 1 – Make sure you place your generator on level ground. It will work best on level ground.
Step 2 – Check its fuel gauge to be sure that there’s enough fuel in it.
Step 3 – Check its engine oil gauge as well.
Step 4 – Drive the grounding rod into the ground near the generator.
Step 5 – Connect a copper wire from the grounding rod to your generator.
Step 6 – Make sure you turn the exhaust of the generator away from the RV.
Step 7 – Start the generator and let it run for 2 minutes.
Step 8 – Plug the RV’s and connect the cable to the RV’s generator port.
Step 9 – Plug the other end into the appropriate generator outlet. What is the Most Quiet Inverter Generator for 50 Amp RV?
After the review, we have found out that the best inverter generator for a 50-Amp RV is the Champion Power Equipment RV Ready Portable Inverter. First of all, the noise level is very low.
So, it won’t disturb your sleep. With an output of 4,400 watts that this machine generates, you should be able to power all your appliances. Also, a runtime of 9.6 hours is quite impressive. With a weight of 40 pounds, you should be able to move it around easily.
With these features, we chose the generator as the best inverter generator for a 50-amp RV. In addition, it is also the best portable inverter generator for RVs.