Constant power supply is indispensable to humans. And our dependence on power keeps increasing because many of the new appliances that are being manufactured depend on electricity to work. Think of home appliances.
Think of office equipment. Even new work tools need electricity to work. This is why people have turned to alternative sources of power like generators and inverters.
Inverters have several advantages over generators. Inverters don’t run on fuel, they don’t make noise, and they don’t emit harmful gases.
However, there are two major types of inverters. They are the gird-tie inverters and the off-grid inverters. The grid-tie inverters are tied to the grid.
The advantage of this category of inverters is that they reduce your power consumption, thereby reducing your monthly electricity bills. The disadvantage of these inverters is that they have to go off when the grid goes down. So, they don’t provide any backup to the grid.
On the other hand, off-grid inverters are not tied to the grid. The advantage of this category is that they don’t go off when there’s an outage.
In fact, they kick in when the power goes out. The major shortcoming of this category is that they don’t have the ability to reduce your monthly electricity bill because they are not tied to the grid.
Well, this write-up is not to compare off-grid inverters to grid-tie inverters. Rather, this report is for off-grid inverters. So, you’ll get to see the reviews of several great off-grid solar inverters.
What Is An Off-Grid Solar Inverter?
In an off-grid solar system, there are solar panels, a deep cycle battery, and an inverter. The solar panels trap sunlight and convert it to DC electricity, and this electricity is stored in a deep cycle battery. So, your inverter will take DC electricity from either the battery or the solar panels.
Whenever it is sunny, the inverter will take power directly from the solar panels. In the night or on cloudy days, the inverter will begin to take power from the batteries.
Whether it comes directly from solar panels or from the battery, power will come as DC. It is the inverter that will now convert it to AC that will power your appliances.
So, the inverter does two things, basically. It receives current from both solar panels and deep cycle batteries, and it converts the current to AC. All our home appliances, work tools, and mobile devices work with AC.
Top 10 Best Selling Products:
|WindyNation 200 Watt Off-Grid Solar Inverter||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|WZRELB Reliable 3000W Solar Power Inverter Off Grid||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|WZRELB DC to AC Converter Off Grid||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|KRXNY 2000W 24V DC to 120V AC 60HZ||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|NIMTEK MM5000 Pure Sine Wave Off-grid||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|WZRELB 5000W 24V High Efficiency||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|VertaMax Pure SINE Wave 3000 Watt||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|NIMTEK MM300 Pure Sine Wave Off-grid||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|GOWE Off Grid 3000w Pure Sine Wave Inverter||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Nimble NR2500 Pure Sine Wave Off-grid Inverter||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Our Picks of 10 Best Off-Grid Solar Inverter Chargers:
1. WindyNation 200 Watt Off-Grid Solar Inverter
This is the best off-grid inverter on this list. When you get to see its features, you’ll agree that it deserves to be the best. The clear LCD display gives you the output voltage.
This inverter gives an output of 1,500 watts, and a peak of 3,000 watts. According to its manufacturer, it is designed for boats, homes, cabins, RVs, and more.
It is ideal for an off-grid 12 volt-battery system. This inverter weighs 57 pounds. You can power your appliances with three AC outlets. It is protected from overloads, short circuits, high voltage, low voltage, overheating, and reverse polarity.
Also, it is quite easy to install. We confirmed that it is very tough and durable. It comes with a lot of components. An Amazon rating of 4.1 stars says it all.
- This inverter offers an output of 1,500 watts if the sun shines brightly.
- Its LCD display shows the input and output voltage at every given time.
- The inverter is weatherproof.
- It weighs 57 pounds.
- You can easily take it around because of its portability.
- You can get a peak output of 3,000 watts from this inverter.
- It is tough and durable.
- The unit is protected from overloads and short circuits.
- It is also protected from high and low voltage.
- Also, it is protected from overheating and reverse polarity.
2. Reliable 3000W Solar Power Inverter Off Grid
This inverter has a well-ventilated casing. It also has two different digital display units. One shows the input voltage, and the other shows the output voltage. It has two AC outlets.
You can get a continuous wattage of 3,000 watts and a peak of 6,000 watts. Its intelligent cooling fan takes care of the heat. The speed of the fan depends on how hot the inverter is.
You’ll find free standard battery cables and a spare fuse in its pack. The inverter weighs only 11.5 pounds, making it very light. Also, it has a dimension of 3.7 inches by 9.4 inches by 21.6 inches. So, it won’t take much space wherever you intend to put it.
You will also like to hear that it is protected from overloads, short circuits, high voltage, low voltage, overheating, and reverse polarity. An Amazon rating of 3.9 stars is an indication that it is a great product.
- This inverter gives an output of 3,000 watts.
- And a peak output of 6,000 watts.
- It has two digital display units.
- The unit weighs only 11.5 pounds.
- It has a dimension of 3.7 inches by 9.4 inches by 21.6 inches.
- Its intelligent cooling fan keeps the heat at bay.
- This unit has an Amazon rating of 3.9 stars.
- It has several safety features.
3. WZRELB Off Grid Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter
This unit has numerous features with the one reviewed above. It dishes out 3,000 watts continuously, and its output peaks at 6,000 watts. It has two AC outlets for you to power your appliances.
Also, we noticed that it has a smart cooling fan that blows the system constantly to prevent it from getting too hot.
There are two display units for both input voltage and output voltage. In addition, it offers seven kinds of protections. It is protected from short circuits, reverse connection, surge, over current, overloads, low voltage, and high voltage.
When the voltage becomes too low, the low-voltage alarm goes off, and the system shuts down. The inverter is protected from short circuit by fuse.
It will push out huge power when you plug it directly to a 24-volt DC battery. The inverter weighs about 13 pounds, and it has a current Amazon rating of 4.1 stars. Like the others, this device is quite easy to install.
- The inverter gives out 3,000 watts continuously.
- It offers a peak wattage of 6,000 watts.
- You can power your appliances with its two AC outlets.
- The device works best with a 24-volt DC battery.
- It has a pair of digital display units.
- An Amazon rating of 4.1 stars is great
- In case of low voltage, it will alert you with its alarm.
- In addition, it has other safety features.
4. KRXNY 2000W 24V DC to 120V AC Off -Grid Solar Inverter
From its name above, you’ll notice that it dishes out 2,000 watts continuously. You should be able to power any appliance or tool with 2,000 watts. Also, power-hungry appliances will get 4,000 watts for them to start. This is why this off-grid inverter is great for your home.
This unit also has two intelligent cooling fans to keep it cool always. The fans will begin to work automatically when the temperature of the unit rises above 45 degrees Celsius.
You can monitor its voltage from its digital display unit. Also, the device comes with free battery cables and spare fuse for replacement. There are two standard outlets for your appliances and a single USB port to charge small devices.
The inverter is protected from overloads, short circuits, high voltage, low voltage, overheating, and reverse polarity. Despite producing huge power, it weighs only 11.72 pounds. This is why it is very portable. You can easily move it around. It has an Amazon rating of 4.7 stars. That’s the highest Amazon rating on this list. Finally, we would also like to tell you that it is durable.
- This inverter has two standard outlets.
- In addition to that, you can also charge your phone through its single USB port.
- It also has two intelligent fans that will come on automatically when the unit becomes too hot.
- A weight of 11.72 pounds is perfect.
- It can output 2,000 watts continuously.
- Also, you can get a peak of 4,000 watts.
- Its digital display unit shows its voltage, current, and wattage.
- The device has several safety features.
- An Amazon rating of 4.7 stars says it all.
5. NIMTEK MM5000 Pure Sine Wave Off-grid Solar Inverter
This is another great inverter with impressive features. All the inverters on our list have fantastic features, anyway. It converts 24 volts DC to 220 volts AC. Also, its temperature-controlled cooling fan is very effective.
This inverter is protected from short circuits, overloads, high voltage, reverse polarity, and over-current. Its in-built fuse is one of its safety features. When the battery is low, the unit will automatically shut down to protect the battery.
However, the real reason why we selected this device is because of its continuous output of 5,000 watts and a peak of 10,000 watts. Its customizable output voltages are 240v, 230v, 200v, 120v, 115v, or 110v. The device starts fast, and it is also tough, rugged, and durable. Its Amazon rating of 5 stars is perfect.
- This device has the ability to convert 24 volts DC to 220 volts AC.
- It outputs 5,000 watts continuously.
- And it has a peak output of 10,000 watts.
- The units will shut down when the battery is low.
- Its cooling fan is very effective.
- The inverter has an in-built fuse for safety reasons.
- It is rugged and durable.
- This inverter has several impressive safety features.
- An Amazon rating of 5 stars says it all.
6. WZRELB 5000W 24V High-Efficiency Solar Power Off-Grid
First of all, we love its well-ventilated casing, as well as its dual temperature-controlled fans. The fans will start when the temperature of the inverter rises above 50 degrees Celsius.
Also, it has a couple of standard outlets and double digital display units. One unit shows the output voltage, while the other shows the input voltage. A weight of 25.9 pounds is one of the best features of this inverter.
You will get an output of 5,000 watts for your appliances and a peak of 10,000 watts for starting them up. In addition, this device has the ability to convert 24 volts DC to 120 volts AC. When this unit is overloaded, it will shut down automatically and recover manually.
It has other safety features, like being protected from overheating, low voltage, high voltage, overheating, short circuits, and reverse polarity.
To protect your battery, it has a low-battery shutdown feature. When the battery is low, it will shut down automatically. Finally, its Amazon rating of 4.0 stars completes the awesome package.
- The casing of this inverter is well-ventilated.
- Also, it has a couple of fans that will turn on automatically when the temperature of the system rises above 50 degrees Celsius.
- An Amazon rating of 4.0 stars is great.
- The unit has the ability to convert 24 volts DC to 120 volts AC.
- There are two digital display units for input voltage and output voltage.
- It outputs 5,000 watts continuously.
- You will also get a peak output of 10,000 watts.
- There are several safety features in this power-generating appliance.
- It is durable and easy to install.
7. VertaMax Pure SINE Wave 3000 Watt Off-Grid
This is another great off-grid inverter, and we are glad to review it. What attracted us to it is its impressive continuous and peak wattages, which are 3,000 watts and 6,000 watts, respectively.
It has a digital display unit that displays the DC battery voltage and wattage. Also, it has three standard outlets for you to plug three appliances at once, as long as the inverter has enough wattage to power them.
The inverter has a peak efficiency of 90%. What blew our mind about this inverter are its three cooling fans. This is the first time we’ll see an inverter with three smart cooling fans.
In spite of that, this inverter is protected from overheating. When the temperature rises above 65 degrees Celsius, it will shut down automatically to protect your appliances and the battery. That is not its only safety feature.
It is also protected from high voltage and low voltage. When the voltage becomes either too high or too low, it will shut down. In addition, it is also protected from overloads, short circuits, and reverse polarity. On top of that, it comes with a 1-year warranty. Finally, it weighs 15.4 pounds, and it has a current Amazon rating of 3.3 stars.
- This masterpiece has three cooling fans.
- It also has three standard AC outlets.
- The unit comes with a 1-year warranty.
- A weight of 15.4 pounds is great for this caliber of inverter.
- It outputs 3,000 watts continuously.
- This unit also gives a peak output of 6,000 watts.
- When the temperature of this inverter rises too high, it shuts down.
- The unit also has several other safety features.
8. NIMTEK MM300 Pure Sine Wave Off-Grid Solar Inverter
We noticed that this inverter is well-ventilated, and it has a single AC outlet. It can convert 24 volts DC to 220 volts AC. The efficiency of this inverter is high, and it also has a smart cooling fan.
You can get a continuous output of 300 watts from this device and, it also offers a peak wattage of 600 watts.
This device has a built-in fuse. Also, it has a low battery alarm that goes off when the battery is low. After that, the system will shut down. In addition, it is also protected from overloads, reverse polarity, overheating, short circuits, high voltage, and low voltage.
Its customizable output voltages are 240v, 230v, 200v, 120v, 115v, or 110v. The device starts fast, and it is also tough, rugged, and durable. Most of all, it is efficient, portable, durable, and it has a very high rating.
- This device is portable.
- It has a very high rating.
- Its casing is well-ventilated.
- There is a cooling fan that keeps its temperature low.
- It is highly efficient.
- You can use its AC outlet to power your appliances.
- When the battery is low, it will sound an alarm before shutting down.
- You will get a continuous and a peak output of 300 watts and 600 watts, respectively.
9. GOWE Off-Grid 3000w Off-Grid Solar Inverter
This device has a well-ventilated casing. So, it enjoys adequate airflow. Even at that, it has an intelligent cooling fan that kicks in when the temperature rises beyond normal.
In addition, the unit will still shut down if the temperature rises to a dangerous level. It has two standard outlets.
This is the lightest inverter on our list. We didn’t believe it when we heard that it weighs only 2.2 pounds until we checked its weight ourselves.
This inverter will give you 3,000 watts continuously, and it also has a peak output of 6,000 watts. Finally, it is also protected from overloads, reverse polarity, overheating, short circuits, high voltage, and low voltage.
- This device weighs only 2.2 pounds.
- It is very portable.
- You can get a continuous output of 3,000 watts from this unit.
- Its output peaks at 6,000 watts.
- A cooling fan keeps overheating at bay.
- The inverter is easy to install.
- Its case is well-ventilated.
- This unit has several safety features.
10. Nimble NR2500 Pure Sine Wave Off-Grid
When we unboxed this device, we noticed its well-ventilated casing and its two standard outlets. We later found out that it can convert 48 volts DC to 110 volts AC.
This is why it is ideal for a lot of tools and appliances. The unit has an internal cooling fan. It is durable and portable. We could install it easily. Right now, it has a current Amazon rating of 4.0 stars.
- This device has a cooling fan.
- It can convert 48 volts DC to 110 volts AC.
- The unit is portable and light.
- An Amazon rating of 4.0 stars is amazing.
- Some users have confirmed that it is durable.
- Its casing is well-ventilated.
- It has a pair of standard outlets.
- There are several safety features in the unit.
What Size of Inverter Do I Need for Off-Grid?
When it comes to choosing an off-grid inverter, the physical size does not matter. What really matters are output voltage and power range. The output voltage of your inverter needs to tally with the load nominal voltage. And this depends on your country. The load nominal voltage is 120V in the United States, but it is 240V in Africa and Europe. The inverter must maintain a frequency of 60Hz in the United States and 50Hz in Africa and Europe.
The amount of power generated by your solar panels is of little use if your inverter can’t handle it. So, you need to choose an inverter that can convert the maximum amount of power generated. That’s why you need to consider what you intend to power with your solar panels.
- To power your phone, fridge, and lights in a small cabin, you need 1 – 2kw.
- For larger cabins or some small energy-efficient homes, you need about 2 – 4kw.
- For bigger off-grid homes, you need about 4 – 8kw.
- For ranches, farms, offices, and larger off-grid homes, you need 8 – 16kw.
In addition, there are more powerful inverters, but most users belong to the 1 – 16kw range. Of course, you can install more powerful inverters, but more powerful inverters will cost you more. And if you install an inverter that can handle more power than you need, you’ll be throwing money away.
Can Solar Inverter Work Without Grid?
Yes, of course. There are two major types of inverters. The ones that are connected to the grid are known as grid-tied inverters. And the ones that are disconnected from the grid are known as off-grid inverters. If you want to use an off-grid inverter, you’ll need a power bank.
This is why an off-grid inverter system requires a battery. The battery works as a power bank. When the sun is shining, solar panels will generate DC power and send it to the inverter. The inverter will convert it to AC current and send some of the power to your home. It will also send the other half to the battery until the battery is full.
When the sun goes down, your inverter will supply your home with the power in the battery until the following day when the sun comes out again. That’s how off-grid inverters work.
Can Off-Grid Solar System Work Without Batteries?
No. This does not make much sense. Think about it. Your solar panels only generate power when the sun is out. And when the sun goes down around 7 pm, your solar panel will no longer suppler power. You’ll have to wait till the following day, when the sun comes out again.
So, your property will have no power from about 7 pm to 6 am the following day. You definitely need batteries to store electricity when using off-grid solar systems. Power will be stored in the batteries. And when the sun goes down, your inverter will revert to the batteries for power. Your property will run on the current stored in the batteries until the following day when the sun comes out again.
What is Needed for Off-Grid Solar System?
For an off-grid solar system, you need the following devices.
- Solar panels: These panels will tap solar energy from the sun and convert it to DC current before sending it to the inverter.
- Inverter: This device will convert the DC current from the solar panels to AC current. That’s because most electrical appliances work with AC current and not DC current.
- Batteries: Some of the power converted by the inverter is stored in the batteries. So, when the sun goes down, solar panels will no longer generate power. The inverter will supply your home with the power stored in the batteries until the following when the sun comes out again.
How Do You Wire a Solar Inverter to The Grid?
It is better to adopt a series connection from the on-grid panels. This is because a series connection increases the voltage received by the grid inverter. You need to connect the first panel’s positive terminal to the second panel’s negative terminal, and the positive terminal of the second panel connects to the negative terminal of the third panel, and it goes on like that.
In addition, you also need to install a switch and a switchboard. The switch will accept current from the solar panels. Since it is an on-grid connection, batteries are not needed. Connect the inverter directly to the grid. You need to plug it into the main power switchboard.
That’s how it is linked to the grid. The inverter takes DC current from the grid and sends it to the inbuilt transformers. The inverter outputs AC current and sends it to the switchboard.
What Is the Best Inverter Charger Off-Grid?
The best inverter charger for off-grid solar system is the WindyNation 200 Watt Off-Grid Solar Inverter. This unit dishes out 1,500 watts continuously. It weighs only 57 pounds, and it has a digital display unit that shows both input and output voltage.
What actually made this unit the best inverter charger for off-grid solar system is its monitoring feature. It does a self-check before supplying power. If there is a wrong connection, it won’t work.
This device is also portable, and it is weatherproof so you can leave it outside. Most importantly, it is protected from overloads, reverse polarity, overheating, short circuits, high voltage, and low voltage.
We highly recommend it to you or anyone that needs to buy an off-grid inverter. You will agree with us that all the inverters we reviewed are the top & latest off-grid solar inverters in the market currently. You can pick the one we recommended above or any other one on this list. We assure you that you won’t regret it.