One of the solutions to power outage problems is the use of a generator. Electricity has become one of the basic necessities of life because most home appliances require electricity to work. So, you shouldn’t wonder why an hour of power outage feels like a whole day. The importance of power has made the demand for generators super-high.
Right now, there are so many brands of generators in the market. They come with varying features and costs. We understand that this has made it a little difficult for buyers to make a choice.
One brand that has successfully carved a niche for itself is Predator. This brand has become one of the leaders in the manufacture of generators. Every Predator generator is a good product, but the brand has several models of generators.
So, people will have to make a choice among these generators. That’s why you need great comparative write-ups like this. This one is meant to compare the Predator 2000 with Predator 3500. Now, you must understand that none is better than the other.
Both of them have their pros and weaknesses. We only want you to check their features and choose the one that suits you more. Of course, one of them is clearly superior to the other. The superior one is also more expensive. Why pay for the superior one if you don’t need the superior features?
So, we have laid the features for you to see. We reviewed each of the products separately before we compared their features. In other words, this article is a combination of product review and comparison. Sit back and read the write-up to the end. You’ll be glad you did.
This model of Predator generator is one of the best generators in the market. The features we have outlined below are what we saw in the product. By our standard, we didn’t depend on what we see on the internet. Rather, we based our review on what we have found out.
What attracted us to this generator is its very low noise, as well as its low emission. The generator is relatively lighter and its fuel consumption is low. It is ideal for RVs, boats, and camping.
10 Major Differences Between Predator 2000 and 3500:
1. Weight – Predator 2000 weighs only 47 pounds, while Predator 3500 weighs 99.2 pounds.
2. Cost – Predator 2000 costs between $500 and $680 in the market while Predator 3500 costs more than $1,000. This makes Predator 2000 more affordable. Predator 2000 has won in this aspect again.
3. Portability – Predator 2000 is smaller, lighter, and more portable. So, it is easier to move it around. That is why it is ideal for camping.
4. Parallel Connection Capability – This feature allows you to connect two inverters of the same model to boost power output. Predator 2000 has the feature. You can connect two together to get an output of 4,000 watts.
Unfortunately, Predator 3,500 does not have this feature. You should have observed that Predator 2000 has been having the upper hand in the features discussed so far. Now let’s discuss aspects where Predator 3500 is superior.
5. Electric Start – Predator 3500 has an electric start, but its counterpart has only a recoil start. Electric start is much more convenient. So, Predator 3500 is clearly better here.
6. Wattage – While Predator 2000 offers starting wattage of 2000 watts and a running wattage of 1600 watts, Predator 3500 offers starting wattage of 3500 and running wattage of 3000 watts. Predator 3500 wins by a large margin here.
7. Tank Capacity – The fuel tank of Predator 3500 can take 2.6 gallons, while that of Predator 2000 can only take 1 gallon. Predator 3500 wins here too.
8. Outlets/Receptacles – Predator 3500 has four outlets, while Predator 2000 has only three.
9. LCD Display – Predator 3500 has an LCD display unit, but Predator 2000 does not have this feature.
10. Power – Predator 3500 gives an output of 6 Horsepower while Predator 2000 gives only 2.8 Horsepower.
- Both inverters are produced by the same brand – Predator.
- They do not have a fuel gauge.
- The two generators have a high Amazon rating.
- They have both been certified by CARB and EPA.
- Low emission is another common feature between both of them.
- The two inverters have a low noise level.
- Their fuel consumption is low.
- The two of them will shut down when their oil level is low.
- Also, they will shut down when overloaded to protect themselves and the devices plugged to them.
- Both of them are very durable.
Can You Parallel Predator 2000 And 3500?
First off, you need to understand what paralleling is. It is the process of connecting two or more inverter generators together in a parallel connection to make them run at the same time. It is done to shore up the wattage of your generator. This becomes necessary if one of the generators is not enough to power all the appliances that you want to power.
Remember, not every two or more generators can be paralleled. The answer to the question is yes. You can parallel the Predator 2000 with 3500. You can parallel them with a dedicated parallel cable or kit. The Predator 3500 supplies 3500 watts, while the Predator 2000 supplies 2000 watts. If you parallel them appropriately, you’ll get up to 5500 watts to power your appliances.
Can a Predator 3500 Run a House?
Yes, a Predator 3500 is enough to power small households with fewer appliances. While this generator will easily power a refrigerator, an air conditioner, a well pump, or a sump pump separately, it can’t power two of them at the same time. This is because the three of them have a motor. So, their starting wattage is very high.
You need to calculate your total power consumption at home. This will help you determine if the Predator 3500 can power your appliances or not. Here are the estimated wattages of some common household items.
- An air conditioning – 1,000 to 4,000 watts
- A coffee Maker – 800 watts
- A dishwasher – 300 watts
- An electric stove – 1,500 watts
- A lightbulb – 60 watts
- A microwave – 800 watts
- A refrigerator/Freezer – 700 watts
- A sump or well pump – 1,000 watts
- A television – 200 watts
- A toaster – 850 watts
Keep in mind that a coffee maker, a dishwasher, an electric stove, a microwave, and a toaster won’t run for long. They just work for a few minutes. So, you can cut down your wattage by not using more than one of these short-service appliances at the same time. For example, you can use your toaster or microwave only when you’re through with your electric stove.
How Much Can a Predator 3500 Power?
As its name implies, a Predator 3500 can give out a total wattage of 3500 watts. The generators can power an air conditioner, a coffee maker, a dishwasher, an electric stove, lightbulbs, ceiling fans, a microwave, a refrigerator, a sump pump, a good pump, a TV set, a toaster, laptops, tablets, smartphones, and several other home appliances.
Also, a Predator 3500 can power the following tools.
- A chainsaw – 1,500 watts
- An electric drill – 600 watts
- An electric leaf blower – 1,000 watts
- A portable air compressor – 1,500 watts
- A table saw – 1,400 watts
Is the Predator 3500 Quiet Enough?
Yes. According to health experts, any noise below 70dB is fair. And the Predator 3500 has a noise level of only 57dB. So, it is quiet enough. However, you can make it even quieter by putting it into an enclosure that will absorb some of its noise or by placing it further away from you.
How to Make The Best Use of These Generators?
Whichever one you choose, you need to make the best use of it. Based on the common mistakes that people make with generators, we have listed some tips for proper generator usage and maintenance.
1. Place your generator on a flat surface so that it can use up its fuel. If it tilts, it won’t use up the fuel before running out of fuel.
2. For safety reasons, you should always ground your generator all the time. You may seek the assistance of an electrician on this.
3. Always inspect the generator before you start it. The plug cap may have removed. Never forget to close the fuel tap after use to prevent over-floating.
4. Check the fuel and the oil level before starting your generator. It is better to top them before starting your gen set. You don’t want your generator to stop while in use.
5. After starting, wait for the engine to run for 5 minutes before you plug any appliance into it. By then, the output light would have come up.
6. If you are using any of these generators for the first time, do not let it run at more than 75% of its load capacity for the first 30 hours. During this period, Predator 2000 should not give out more than 1200 watts. After 30 hours, you can now use it without any limitations and restrictions.
7. After the first 30 hours, you need to service the generator. This service is a simple oil change. Wait until the engine cools before you do anything to it.
8. Service it every three months.
The Service Should Include:
- Cleaning or replacement of the spark plug.
- Oil change
- Cleaning or replacement of the air filter.
If you are planning to store your generator for an extended period, you need to do the following:
- Wipe its exterior thoroughly.
- Fill the tank with fuel.
- Change its oil and store it with clean oil.
- Ensure you clean the spark plug and the area around the spark plug.
- Store it in a covered but well-ventilated area.
- Fuel can explode in hot conditions, so don’t keep your generator in an airtight place.
- In short, it is better to service it right before you store it for a long period.
- How to Hook Up a Portable Generator to Your Home
Know The Wattage of Your Generator Set
When learning how to hook up a portable generator to your home, the first thing you must learn is the total power output of your generator and the total power required by all the appliances you want to power.
Here are The Wattages Consumed by Some Home Appliances
Here are the estimated wattages required by some indispensable appliances. The microwave takes about 1500 watts. Also, CFC bulbs take about 150 watts, and refrigerators will take about 1200 to 1500 watts, depending on its size. Your television will take about 1000 watts, and your fans will consume about 500 watts each. So, you can do the addition.
Choose a Wiring System
You can choose a wiring system for your home. While you may be able to handle it on your own, we advise you to hire an expert for this. Wrong wiring could lead to a fire.
Secondly, every community has its wiring code, and if you violate the code, you could be fined. A professional will know the code for your community.
Install an Inlet Box Hook Up
You need to install a box that will transfer the power generated by your generator to the internal panel that will distribute the electricity to all the appliances you want to power. As we advised earlier, you should allow a pro to handle it.
Get the Set up Inspected
There are several tips on how to hook up a portable generator to your home on the internet, but many of the tips are not safe. So, if you did the hook up yourself, it is necessary to get it inspected by a pro.
Ensure you Place it Far from Your Home
You need to place your generator far away from your home because of the noise and fume. And if the gen catches fire for any reason, it won’t affect your home.
To conclude this article, we would say no generator is better than the other. Although Predator 3500 has superior features, it is also much more expensive. What you should consider is suitability. If Predator 2000 can handle your needs, go for it. Why pay more for Predator 3500 when 2000 is enough for you?
However, if Predator 2000 does not suit your needs, you may consider Predator 3500. They are both great generators, and we recommend both of them.