Listen up, with the best large portable generator, you can be sure that you can power the appliances you need, including the fridge and the AC for summer.
You also won’t have to be bored, as you can power your TV too. A big portable generator can give you the power you need when you’re traveling the country in an RV, and at a work site to let you use your power tools.
So, if you have the money and you want to get a backup generator connection exclusively for home use, you’d want to get the best large portable generator. As it’s still portable, you can move it around the house.
Yet it’s large enough to run all the appliances you need or just want to run. You can’t escape the fact that power outages are possible at any time.
The average home in the US experiences one or two of these outages each year, and each time it can be aggravating and downright uncomfortable. In some cases, it can even be a danger to the health of some members of the family.
Top 10 Best Selling Products:
|DuroMax XP4400E 4,400 Watt 7.0 HP||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|DuroStar DS4000S Gas Powered 4000 Watt||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Champion Power Equipment 100891||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|WEN DF1100T Dual Fuel Portable Generator||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Pulsar G12KBN Heavy Duty Portable Generator||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|A-iPower SUA4500 4500 Watt||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Etq TG32P31 3600W Portable Generator||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|All Power America APG3014G||CHECK ON AMAZON|
|Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator||CHECK ON AMAZON|
Our Picks of Top 12 Best Large Portable Generators:
You do have numerous options to pick from if you’re looking for the best portable generator on the market. But we can give you a leg up and sift through the options so you can just pick from the following 8 choices instead
1. Generac GP17500E Portable Generator
This is perhaps an extreme example of how many watts you can get from a large generator. This is a true power generator, especially in light of how it’s still a portable model.
It has wheels and a handle, so you can move it around. But what many people love about this is the sheer number of watts it’s able to offer.
The 17500 watts stated here isn’t an exaggeration. This is really the number of running watts you get. As for starting watts, you also get 26,250 watts.
These wattage levels are enough to power an air conditioner that weighs 5 tons. It can also power up to 16 circuits.
What this means is that you can have this at home and never feel inconvenienced by a power outage in any way. Life goes on as normal. You can also bring this to a construction worksite so you can use a lot of power tools at the same time.
- The 17500 running watts give you more than enough power to run all your household appliances normally.
- It comes with an electric start, hour meter, and low oil automatic shutoff.
- You also get the idle control feature that conserves fuel and reduces noise.
- This has a 16-gallon fuel tank. At 50% load, it’s able to run for 10 hours straight before refueling.
- It has a handle and wheels, along with an integrated lifting eye for easier transport.
- It’s definitely well-made, and it has a 2-year warranty.
2. DuroMax XP12000EH Dual Fuel Generator
Do you want to use gasoline or LPG for your generator? Each one has its benefits, so why not have a generator that can use both.
This dual fuel electric generator fits your needs if that’s what you’re looking for in a camping electric generator or home backup generator.
You won’t run out of watts to use, as this gives you 12000 watts of power. It’s called a “beast” for this very reason.
What’s more, you can also enjoy the longest run time as you can use gasoline for 10 hours straight at half load before refueling. With propane, you even get 20 hours of run time at 50% load.
This comes with a super-effective muffler along with a spark arrestor. This means it’s still safe and quiet enough to use in US national parks according to the EPA. You also get an oil warning light, a voltmeter, circuit breaker, and auto low oil shutoff.
- The 12000 watts are more than enough for your household appliances during an outage.
- You can also use this for camp or work sites, as it has a handle and wheels.
- It comes with a full complement of safety features.
- It complies with EPA regulations so it can be used safely in US national parks.
- It’s not as noisy as other power generators.
3. Durostar DS10000E Generator
Typically the Durostar DS10000E is enough large portable generator. This model is called a single power source for many applications.
Durostar generators are known for their best quality services and affordability in the market. This generator is a great power source for homes during power outages.
It is also a useful generator to run machinery items at the job site. This generator produces 10000 starting watts of power and 8000 running watts of power.
Durostar DS10000E is known as last longer generator with its excellent design. So it is definitely a good choice if you are looking for a 10000W generator.
- Recoil style start system
- 72 Dba sound level
- 8.3 gallon capacity fuel tank
- 10000 starting watts & 8000 running watts
- It runs quietly for maximum ten hours
- Heavy-duty frame with its 4-point fully-isolated motor mounts
4. All Power America APGG10000GL
All power America 10000 watt generator is a gas powered portable generator and it broadly use for emergency power backup purpose.
It is an ideal device for your whole house in case of a sudden electrical power outage. This 10000 watt generator provides more than enough electricity.
So it can be also an ideal power source for camping or tailgating. It has a wheel kit so that you can carry it anywhere.
- 10000 watt peak power, 8000 watt rated power
- 8 gallons fuel capacity
- 11 hrs running time at 1/2 load
- With electric start button & recoil start
- Operating noise level is 76 db
- Wheel kit and hour meter included
- Fuel Capacity: 8 gallons, Operating noise level: 76 db
5. HONDA EB10000 Industrial Generator 10000W
HONDA EB10000 watt generator is reliable and quiet‚ delivering portable fuel-efficient power. It operates at an extremely quiet noise level.
The EB10000 has a compact, slim design that can be easily installed on the job site.
Also has an i-Monitor that provides information on hours of operation. You will get wheel kit and folding handles, as well as a hanger kit.
- Planned for easy maintenance
- Electric start button with recoil back-up
- 8.1 gallons fuel tank capacity
- Digital Automatic Voltage Regulator
- i-Monitor for on time performance monitoring
- Include spark arrestor/muffler
- Electronic circuit breakers
- 3 year residential and commercial warranty
6. A-iPower Portable Generator SUA12000E
This looks like a rather formidable generator, and its capabilities match its looks.
You get 9000 running watts along with 12000 starting watts, and these levels are enough to make life comfy during a home power outage or at a campsite.
This has a 7-gallon fuel tank, so you get many hours of straight use before you need to refuel again.
Use 4500 watts at once, and you can go overnight with this as it can run for 9 hours straight.
The outlets are GFCI-protected, so you’re protected from possible electric shocks when working in damp conditions. The cord also has a protective cover not just for protection but also to make it look neat.
- With 9000 watts available, you’re able to power numerous appliances such as air conditioners and refrigerators.
- It’s easy to start with the push electric start button.
- It has a built-in DC adapter plug to charge your battery for the electric start. This can also be used with the USB adapter to charge your smartphone.
- This is easy to move around, with handles and large 9.5-inch wheels.
7. Honda 7000W Super Quiet Light Weight Inverter
Honda makes fast and fuel-efficient cars, so it’s not surprising they can produce some of the best portable generators.
It’s still easy enough to move around, as it comes in a wheelbarrow design with handles and wheels.
This is one of the best generators for home backup power as well as for camping, as it’s not just portable.
It’s also able to give you 7000 watts of power. As this is an inverter, the power you get is stable enough that you can power and recharge sensitive devices like smartphones and laptops.
It comes with a convenient electric start, and the 5.1-gallon fuel tank can run up to 18 hours straight without refueling.
- You get 7000 watts to run the most important appliances in your household, RV, or camp.
- The power you get is stable enough to recharge sensitive laptops and smartphones.
- It’s very portable, with a nice wheelbarrow design for great mobility.
- It’s very fuel-efficient so you can run up to 18 hours straight.
8. RP12000E 12000 Running Watts Portable Generator
With its yellow color, this large generator may seem unassuming. But it offers a lot, starting with 12,000 running watts and 15000 starting watts.
That’s more than enough to run your household comfortably even during a power outage. At a campsite, it’ll feel like home while at a worksite it can let a number of power tools work.
This is extremely fuel-efficient, and it has the idle mode option to reduce fuel consumption. It has 9 power outlets, so you may not even need generator extension cords to power a few appliances.
At 50% load, this can run for almost 12 hours so you can let it be when you sleep overnight. This is extremely mobile, and not just because of its handle and wheels.
It’s also because its weight has been balanced and its design is ergonomic. It’s also easy to use, with its LED lights and its EPA compliance. All this leads to a very well made generator. Its warranty is even for 3 years.
- You get 12000 running watts that can power fridges and ACs, and many other appliances and power tools.
- It offers 9 outlets to power many appliances at once.
- The power you get is quite stable, so it can power smartphones and laptops.
- It can run for 11.7 hours at half load.
- It’s very easy to move around.
9. DuroMax XP4400E Portable Generator
Duromax XP4400E is a quietest dual fuel portable generator. This generator can run on equally gasoline and liquid propane, which provides the flexibility and freedom of fuel choice.
So you will get more flexibility by using this dual fuel 4400 watt generator capacity.
This high capacity generator is perfect as a home backup generator because it has enough power for running most household appliances.
Besides this, you can also easily carry this thing to the camp site.
- Run on Propane or Gasoline
- Easy to transport anywhere
- User-friendly with electric start button
- 4400 starting watt and 3500 running watt
- 3-year factory warranty
10. DuroStar DS4000S 3300 Running Watts/4000
If you only need to power the most important appliances at home during a power outage, then the best large portable generator for you will still be compact enough for camping use.
This should suit your needs, as you get 3300 running watts and 4,000 starting watts. The fuel tank holds 4 gallons of gasoline, and that’s large enough to run for 8 hours.
You also get a long list of safety features so you can use this without a hitch.
- It offers 3300 watts for your home emergency or campsite appliances.
- You can sleep overnight while this works through the night.
- It has an effective muffler to reduce the noise.
- You have a volt meter, oil warning light, circuit breaker, and automatic low oil shutoff.
11. Pulsar Portable 1200W Gas Generator
What exactly do you mean by large? If you want something for camping, this is the “large” generator you need.
Your small appliances can work simultaneously as you get 900 running watts and 1200 starting watts.
This comes with just a 1.1-gallon fuel tank to make it easier to carry and move around. But that’s enough to still give you 8.5 hours of run time at 50% load.
Use it for just your fan when you sleep, and you can get it to run overnight. It’s very safe to use, as it also has automatic voltage regulation and a low oil indicator.
- You get more than enough wattage for outdoor recreational activities, with 900 running watts.
- This will run for 8.5 hours straight at half load.
- Its safety features include a low oil indicator and automatic voltage regulation.
- You don’t need wheels for this, as it only weighs 35 pounds. It comes with a handle so you can carry it around.
12. Pulsar G12KBN Heavy Duty Portable Dual Fuel Generator
For emergency use, the 2600 running watts and 3000 starting watts you get from this Atima generator are more than enough.
This can still run various watt-hungry appliances, including your coffee machine and air conditioner.
In case the power isn’t enough, you can always get an extra generator like this (or just any Atima generator) and you can run them in parallel to boost the available watts.
This is an award-winning generator as the design is first-rate. The electricity you get is stable, so it’s safe for smartphones and laptops.
It’s simple enough to operate that it’s like plugging an appliance to a standard wall socket. With its wheels and comparatively compact design, it’s great for home use as well as for outdoor applications.
- These can run various small appliances or a couple of major appliances at home or at a campsite.
- You can buy any Atima generator to run it in parallel with this one to boost the number of watts.
- The power you get is extremely stable, so you don’t get the power surges that may damage smartphones and laptops.
- It’s mobile and compact.
- It’s extremely simple to use, with an LCD screen showing the status of various functions. You also get regular maintenance alerts.
- It’s very quiet and can operate at just 54 decibels at 25% load. At its rated load, the noise only gets to 61 decibels. That’s like the noise of a normal conversation.
What Sizes Do Portable Generators Come In?
Portable generators come in various sizes and capacities. Of course, bigger sizes do not always mean higher capacities. By that, we mean that a smaller portable generator may sometimes generate a higher wattage than a bigger generator. So, it is better to focus on the capacities.
And portable generators come in various wattage capacities. You can find portable generators with the following capacities:
- 200 watts
- 250 watts
- 300 watts
- 350 watts
- 400 watts
- 500 watts
- 750 watts
- 1000 watts
- 1500 watts
- 2000 watts
- 2500 watts
- 3000 watts
In fact, you can still find generators with a higher capacity. However, you should always remember that the higher the capacity, the more it will cost. So, it is better to buy the right capacity for your needs.
How Big of a Generator Do I Need for a 2500 Square Foot House?
People often choose their generator based on the size of their house, but this is not accurate. What matters more is knowing all the appliances in your house. Sometimes, a bigger house may have fewer appliances than a smaller house. On that note, if you choose a generator for houses based on their size, you’re likely to get it wrong.
So, to know the size of a generator for a 2500 square foot house, find out all the electrical appliances in the house. Find out the wattage required by each of the appliances. You can then total the figures. That should give you an idea of the size and capacity of a generator you need.
This is not applicable to only 2500 square foot houses. Rather, it is applicable to every house. The size of the house plays a little role in determining the size of a generator.
Will a 15000-Watt Generator Run a House?
Generally, the answer to the question depends on the kind of equipment in that house. However, a 15,000-watt generator is big enough to power all the regular appliances in homes. A 15,000-watt generator will easily power your TV, microwave oven, washing machine, dishwasher, air conditioning unit, heating unit, ceiling fans, standing fans, laptops, smartphones, tablets, and other items.
Even if you have a heavy work tool, this size of generator should be able to power it easily. We understand that it costs a fortune to purchase a 15,000-watt generator. So, it may be a complete waste of money if you purchase this generator when a smaller and cheaper generator can easily power your house.
- You can use this to power all the household appliances you need to run during a power outage. You’ll be able to run your fridge, AC, home security system, lights, TV and sound system, your PC, and even your beloved coffee machine.
- When you’re camping with an RV, the generator can make sure your RV is as comfy as living at a regular house. Just because you’re at a campsite doesn’t mean you have to make do without the (electronic) comforts of home.
- This can run for many hours, so you don’t have to constantly refuel it.
Buying Guide – How to Choose the Best Rated Large Portable Generator?
Picking one among our 12 recommendations may still take you a while, and there’s always a chance you’ll pick wrong. To help make sure you get it right, you should consider the following factors:
The kinds of appliances you can run, along with the number of appliances you can power, will depend on the number of watts you get from the generator.
This means you need to add up the watts needed by the appliances you plan on running if there’s ever a power outage. You should get both the starting watts and the running watts totals.
The nice thing about a large generator is that you do get many thousands of watts. However, there’s a difference between getting 7.000 watts and more than 10,000 watts. With more watts, you pay more and you have to deal with greater weight and noise levels.
You can expect a large generator to run for a long while, especially if you don’t power too many watt-hungry appliances. But putting in a full load for the generator can shorten the time frame.
A longer run time before refueling is obviously better, and you should get one that can run for at least 8 hours straight if you plan on using a generator overnight.
These can include automatic low oil shutoff and circuit breakers, as well as warning lights and voltmeters. It’s also nice if you have rubber covers on the outlets.
The safest ones are also the generators that you can use easily. So you should find out what using one entails, as complicated generators may not be best for you.
Large generators will make noise, and that’s the main drawback of having too many watts at your disposal. If you want your generator to be comparatively quieter, check for EPA approval and the reported decibel level. If the manufacturer isn’t saying anything about the noise, expect it to be noisy.
Do be sure that you won’t annoy people with the generator you use. You may even find the noise level intolerable, and that may not be great if you plan on using it while sleeping.
The more watts you get and the larger the generator you buy, the more you will likely spend. That’s why you should only get a generator with the watts you need, so you don’t pay for watts you don’t really use at all.
If it’s a portable generator, then it should at least have wheels and a handle. But the weight will be a factor to consider if you’re using this for a campsite.
Lifting a 200-pound generator from the trunk may be difficult if you’re alone. That’s the problem with large generators that offer many thousands of watts—they can be very heavy indeed.
Look for the warranty as a clue regarding the durability of the generator. Usually, these things have a warranty of a year, so a longer warranty may indicate greater durability and reliability.
A portable generator can make life a lot more comfortable at home even when there’s a power outage. As it’s portable, you can even bring one to a construction work site for your power tools or to a campsite for your TV, lights, and electric fan.
You can even have proper coffee with your espresso machine! Just pick the right one, or else you’re going to waste your money. A large generator may be more expensive, but it can be a proper investment in the long run.