Are you planning to buy a standby generator soon? Have you been doing an online search but you have not been able to select a good generator? This report is all you need. We have reviewed the best standby propane generators here. We combed the market for the numerous generators.
After testing them, we selected the best ten. And we reviewed each of them separately below. One thing that differentiates or from others is that we don’t base our reviews on what is written online about the products we’re reviewing. Instead, we test the products ourselves and base our reviews on what we found out.
In addition, we also answered some other relevant questions. You’ll find out the recommended size of propane tank for your standby generator. You will also get to know how long a propane generator runs. We gave the quantities of propane generators consume on average.
Finally, we gave a step by step walkthrough on how to install a standby propane generator. After reading this article to the end, you could decide to pick any of the generators that we reviewed. You’d also broaden your knowledge on standby propane generators. That’s why you should take the time to read it to the end.
Our Picks of 10 Best Standby Propane Generators:
1. Champion 8.5-kW Standby propane Generator
This standby generator can give your home 24 hours’ power. It generates up to 8.5 kw. With a dimension of 52.4 by 33.5 by 32.1 inches, it weighs 460 pounds.
It offers 120 volts. The generator runs on both propane and natural gas, but it is better to stick with one of them.
You’ll also love its low noise level that is about 59.5 dBA. The generator is easy to maintain because it performs self-diagnostic on itself.
This review will be incomplete if we don’t mention its stunning 10-year limited warranty. Since the warranty is limited, you may want to find out what it covers and what it doesn’t cover.
Only seven users have rated it on amazon and all of them gave the product a 5-star rating. They can’t all be wrong. With the generator, you don’t have to bother about the weather conditions because it can withstand all weather conditions, and that’s why it is durable.
- The generator runs on either propane gas or natural gas.
- It weighs 460 pounds.
- The noise level of the product is low.
- Its power output is 8.5kw.
- That’s why it is quite durable.
- The generator does weekly self-diagnostic tests.
- Users have given it a 5-star rating on Amazon.
- The generator is easy to maintain.
- If you buy it, you’ll enjoy its 10-year limited warranty.
- It can withstand all weather conditions.
2. DuroMax XP12000EH Propane Generator-12000 Watt
The use of this generator is approved in all 50 states of America, so wherever you reside in America, you can use this generator. The workhorse dishes out up to 12kw. It has a dimension of 30 by 29 by 26 inches and a weight of 224 pounds.
You can either start it with its recoil start or use its electric start. On that note, we’re glad to inform you that you don’t have to buy a battery since it comes with a battery.
Like the other DuroMax generator above, this one uses both propane and gasoline, but it is better to stick with propane as it is more eco-friendly.
It also offers dual voltages. You can choose between 120V and 240V. This product has been certified by both CARB and EPA. It has a rating of 4.5 stars.
- This generator is approved in all the 50 states of America.
- It has a wattage of 12kw.
- The power supplier has a dimension of 30 by 29 by 26 inches.
- It weighs 224 pounds.
- You can select from either 120V or 240V.
- It runs on both gasoline and propane.
- The product is certified by EPA and CARB.
- The product comes with a starter battery, so you don’t need to buy a battery.
- It conserves fuel.
- Having an Amazon rating of 4.5 stars is great.
3. Pulsar G12KBN Heavy Duty Generator
This generator looks sophisticated and we thought it would be difficult to use, but we were wrong. It is as easy as the other generators on this list. It gives an output of12kw.
The generator weighs 209 pounds. This generator runs on either gas or gasoline. At 50% load capacity, this generator will run for up to 12 hours.
It offers both recoil and electric starts. Being a heavy appliance, it comes with two wheels for mobility. Once the engine oil level is low, the gen-set will shut down to protect the engine.
It comes with a propane hose. You’ll love its handle with which you can pull the beast around. Like the others, its noise level is low and it is strong enough for tough weather conditions. It has an Amazon rating of 4.5 stars.
- This generator has an Amazon rating of 4.5 stars.
- It can run for 12 straight hours at 50% load.
- You can be sure of its durability.
- It has a digital voltmeter.
- The generator has a total power output of 12 kw.
- It weighs 209 pounds.
- You can easily push it around with its wheels.
- The noise level of the generator is pretty low.
- Its low-oil sensor shuts down the generator when its engine oil is low.
- The generator runs on gasoline and liquefied gas.
4. Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane)
This generator dishes out 12kw and it has a weight of 200 pounds. Also, it has a dimension of 27.2 by 26.1 by 26 inches. It runs on both gasoline and propane.
And its engine is protected by a low-oil shutdown. You can either start it through its recoil start or its electric start.
At 25% load, this generator can run for up to 17 hours. Its noise level is 72dBa. The noise level is low but not as low as DuroMax generators’ noise level.
It has different outlets that dish out 120V and 240V. With its foam grip handles and two wheels, you can easily push it around.
The device is certified by CARB and EPA. It comes with a 3-year limited warranty, which you must study. Finally, it has a current Amazon rating of 4.3 stars. The generator is rugged and durable. It can weather all kinds of storms.
- This generator weighs 200 pounds.
- It gives 12kw.
- It has a dimension of 27.2 by 26.1 by 26 inches.
- At 25% load, this generator can run for up to 17 hours.
- The noise level of the power generator is 72dBA.
- It offers both 120V and 240V.
- Also, it runs on propane and gasoline.
- It has been certified by both EPA and CARB.
- The handle and its pair of wheels make for easier mobility.
- It has an Amazon rating of 4.3 stars.
- Buyers will enjoy its 3-year limited warranty.
5. DuroMax XP4400EH Dual Fuel Electric Start Portable Generator
This generator uses propane and gasoline. As advised earlier, it is good to stick with one of them. Since propane does not give emissions like gasoline, you may want to stick with propane.
The generator’s power output is 3.5kw. The device has a weight of 128 pounds. Also, it has been certified by CARB and EPA. Its noise level is low.
Generally, DuroMax generators have low noise levels and they conserve fuel. According to some of its users, the generator is rugged and durable. Users have given it a 4.4-star rating on Amazon.
- The generator has an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars.
- Both EPA and CARB have certified it for safety.
- It has a weight of 128 pounds.
- The generator conserves fuel.
- You can easily push it around because it has two strong wheels.
- The generator gives out 3.5kw.
- Its noise level is low.
- We were able to confirm its durability.
- It runs on both propane and gasoline.
6. Generac 7043 Home Standby Generator
The distinguishing feature of this generator is its app. After installing the app on your phone, you’ll be able to monitor the generator even if you’re in another continent.
Also, another feature that will blow your mind is its 5-year warranty. It has a weight of 515 pounds but that does not matter since you won’t be moving it around.
It has a dimension of 48 by 25 by 29 inches. You’d also like to hear that it was engineered and built in the United States. When you purchase the product, you’ll help fellow Americans keep their job. If you’re not comfortable with its size, also remember that it outputs 22kw, so it’s not big for nothing.
It also has an LCD display unit that shows the battery status and maintenance intervals. You can leave it outside because the device can withstand tough weather conditions. Finally, it has an Amazon rating of 4.6 stars.
- The Amazon rating of the generator is high and that’s commendable.
- It has a dimension of 48 by 25 by 29 inches.
- The generator weighs 515 pounds.
- Its low noise level will make it attractive.
- Buyers will love its 5-year warranty.
- Its body is made of aluminum, so it can withstand tough weather conditions.
- The generator has a total output of 22kw.
- It is built in the United States.
- The generator has an app through which you can monitor it remotely.
- You can monitor its battery status from its LCD display unit.
7. Briggs & Stratton P3000 Power Smart Series Inverter Generator
This is one of the smallest generators on our list. It weighs 96 pounds and it gives out 3kw. Being portable makes it easier for you to move it around. The tank of the generator has a volume of 1.5 gallons. At 25% load, the generator can run for 10 straight hours.
Both noise level and fuel consumption are low. You can plug your appliances into its four AC outlets and one USB port. Its LCD unit is bold and clear.
You can see what is written on it from a distance. Some of its users have confirmed its durability. Having an Amazon rating of 4.2 stars confirms its quality.
Most importantly, you’ll love its 2-year limited warranty. As a rule of thumb, always take the time to study the terms and conditions of the warranty.
- At 25% load, this generator will work for up to 10 straight hours.
- Its tank capacity is 1.5 gallons.
- The workhorse gives out 3kw of power.
- Having an Amazon rating of 4.2 stars says it all.
- Its noise level is low, as well as its fuel consumption.
- Its large LCD unit shows important statistical information.
- The plant weighs 96 pounds, making it one of the lightest standby generators in the market.
- Its users say it is durable.
- The gen-set has four AC outlets and a USB port.
- It comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
8. Champion Power Equipment 100402 2000-Watt
This generator is quite portable enough for camping. It gives an output of 2kw. That’s a great output for a generator that weighs only 47.6 pounds.
It has a dimension of 20.5 by 12.6 by 16.9 inches. It runs on both gasoline and propane. The gasoline tank of the generator has a capacity of a gallon.
When you place it 23 feet away from your house, its noise level will be about 53dBA. Like the others, it has a low-oil shutdown sensor.
At 50% load, this product can run for up to 11 hours without interruption when you fill its gasoline tank and it can do 24 hours on a filled 20-pound propane tank. If you choose it, you’ll enjoy its 3-year limited warranty.
Also, we noticed that its fuel consumption is relatively low. You can count on its durability. Finally, it has an Amazon rating of 4.5 stars.
- The output of the generator is 2kw.
- It weighs only 47.6 pounds, so you can carry it around.
- It runs on both gasoline and propane.
- With a filled tank of gasoline, it can run for 11 hours.
- With a filled 20-pound propane tank, it will work for 24 hours.
- Buyers will enjoy its 3-year limited warranty.
- Its noise level is pretty low.
- And so is its fuel consumption.
- We were able to confirm its durability.
- An Amazon rating of 4.5 stars speaks for itself.
9. DEWALT PM0167000.02 DXGNR7000 7,000-Watt
The yellow and black color combination of this generator makes it unique. It will stand out among many generators. The gen-set has an idle control function that conserves fuel and reduces noise level.
Its runtime meter shows the fuel level. Its power output is 7kw. This is a heavy-duty generator, and that’s why it comes with two big wheels that will ease its mobility.
The generator also has a wattage meter that gives real-time feedback on how much power is being used. The starter battery comes with its pack, so you don’t have to purchase a battery to enjoy its electric start.
To prevent the generator from running out of oil, its low-oil sensor will trigger a shutdown when its oil is low.
The generator has a dimension of 30 by 28.5 by 29 inches and it weighs 192 pounds. At 50% load capacity, the device will run for 11 hours. Finally, it is rugged and durable. That’s why it has an Amazon rating of 4.7 stars.
- The generator weighs 192 pounds.
- Its idle control feature helps to conserve fuel.
- Also, its noise level is low.
- The total power output of the generator is 7kw.
- It has a dimension of 30 by 28.5 by 29 inches.
- You can push it around easily because of its pair of wheels.
- Its wattage meter gives real-time feedback on how much power is being used.
- At 50% load capacity, the device will run for 11 hours.
- There’s a runtime meter that shows the fuel level.
- Its Amazon rating is 4.7 stars.
10. DuroStar DS13000EH Propane Generator
This generator gives an output of 13kw, so it can power your air conditioner and refrigerator. You’ll appreciate its wheels that aid mobility because it weighs 256 pounds.
The generator runs on gasoline and propane, but it’s better to stick with propane because gasoline emits harmful gases. The generator is certified by both EPA and CARB. That’s probably why it is approved in all 50 states.
You can leave it outside in all weather conditions because it is rugged and durable. You can use its recoil start or its electric start. It has a dimension of 29 by 30 by 26 inches, and its Amazon rating is 4.5 stars.
- The generator weighs 256 pounds.
- And it comes with a pair of wheels at its feet.
- Its power output is 13kw.
- It runs on gasoline and propane.
- The generator has a dimension of 29 by 30 by 26 inches.
- It is approved by both EPA and CARB.
- Also, it is approved in all the 50 states of America.
- You can use its recoil start or its electric start.
- It is rugged and durable.
- An Amazon rating of 4.5 stars is quite impressive.
What Size Propane Tank is Suitable for A Standby Generator?
The size of the propane tank depends on how long you want to run it. A 120-gallon tank should last for two to three days, while a 500-gallon tank can last for up to eight days or more. If you’ll be running it for a few hours, you’re okay with a 20-pound tank.
However, you have to consider your convenience as well. Using a 500-gallon tank means you won’t need to refill it quickly. So, if you can afford it, you’re better off with a 500-gallon tank. Even if you run your generator for only a few hours in a week, the propane will last for a long time.
How Long will A Standby Generator Run On Propane?
The answer to this question depends on three factors – The strength of the generator, the quantity of propane available, and the load on the generator. Stronger generators tend to work longer. The more fuel in the generator, the longer it will work.
And The smaller the load on the engine, the longer it will work. One reason for this is that the more the load, the more fuel it will consume. Generally, a standby generator can run from a few hours to two days.
How Much Propane Does A Standby Generator Use?
This depends on how long you want to run it. Remember, it is just a backup power supply that kicks in when there’s an outage.
If there’s no natural disaster, there may not be any outage in several years. That being said, 20 pounds of propane should be enough for you to run your generator.
How to Install A Standby Propane Generator?
Step 1 – Install electrical sub-panel with a transfer switch. This should be beside the main panel.
Step 2 – Try to redirect critical circuits from the main panel to the sub-panel.
Step 3 – Prepare a concrete base for the generator.
Step 4 – Place the generator on the concrete base.
Step 5 – You need to dig a trench from your generator to a gas meter.
Step 6 – Run a gas line from the generator to the gas meter.
Step 7 – Now, you need to connect the gas line to the meter.
Step 8 – Pull the electrical cable from your new generator to your house.
Step 9 – Finally, Connect the gas to the generator and also make electrical connections.
It is better to outsource this task to a professional.
The products reviewed above are the latest standby propane generators for homes. You can bank on our reviews. Select any of them, and you’ll be happy with your gen-set.