Of course, it is nice to have a backup power supply for your home in case of a power outage, but automatic home generators take the convenience to another level. Immediately an outage occurs, they’ll kick in without anyone lifting a finger. In some cases, you may not even realize that there’s an outage except for the sound of the generator.
The best time to appreciate your automatic home generator is when you’re sleeping. When a power outage occurs in the middle of the night, getting up to start your generator will be very difficult.
But when you have an automatic generator, you won’t even need to get up. In fact, you may not even wake up because your automatic generator will start itself automatically.
This is why we decided to comb the market for automatic generators. We tested many of them and came up with the best five generators. They are durable and they consume less fuel and their noise level is quite low. Most importantly, they supply huge power. You can check their separate reviews below.
In addition, we also answered a few frequently asked questions about automatic standby generators. You’ll find the answers below. So, let’s get down to business.
Top 5 Best Automatic Home Standby Generators – Find The Right Model:
Our Picks of 5 Best Automatic Home Standby Generator Reviews:
1. Generac 70432 Automatic Home Standby Generator
This heavy-duty generator gives an output of 22KW. With such huge power, you can literarily power all your appliances. You’ll also love the app that comes with it.
Once you install the app, you’ll be able to monitor the generator through the app remotely. Several Generac generators come with a 5-year warranty, and this one is not an exception. It also comes with a 5-year warranty like the others.
Smart buyers usually study warranty terms and conditions. And you should be one of them. The generator weighs 515 pounds, and it has a dimension of 48 by 25 by 29 inches.
With its aluminum enclosure, it can withstand all weather conditions. You’ll also love its LCD unit that gives you information on the status of its battery and information on its maintenance intervals.
We also noticed that its fuel consumption and noise level are low. So, we were not surprised to find out that its Amazon rating is 4.6 stars.
- The generator’s display unit tells you its battery status.
- It can be monitored from anywhere through its mobile app.
- The generator is made in the United States.
- Its output is 22KW.
- The generator has a dimension of 48 by 25 by 29 inches.
- Its aluminum body can withstand tough weather conditions.
- An Amazon rating of 4.6 stars is quite impressive.
- The noise level of the generator is low.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The product weighs 515 pounds.
2. Champion 8.5-kW Standby Generator, Automatic Transfer Switch
As of the last time we checked, the generator has an Amazon rating of 5.0 stars. If you think it is overrated, wait until you see its performance. The generator gives a power output of 8.5KW.
The noise level of this standby generator is 59.5dBA, and that’s fairly low. It weighs 460 pounds. What many of its users love most about it is its weekly self-diagnostic test.
With the test, it will remain in top condition all the time. Another feature that will blow your mind is its 10-year limited warranty. If the warranty is one of the reasons why you’ll choose it, you need to check the warranty terms and conditions.
That way, you’ll understand what the warranty covers and what it does not cover. Other features are low fuel consumption and durability.
- The generator runs on propane and natural gas.
- It weighs 460 pounds.
- A noise level of 59.5 dBA is pretty low, and that’s fine.
- Its power output is 8.5kw.
- Some of its users confirmed its durability.
- The generator does weekly self-diagnostic tests.
- Its 5-star Amazon rating is amazing.
- It is easy to maintain.
- Users will enjoy a 10-year limited warranty.
- Its fuel consumption is low.
3. Rainier R12000DF Dual Fuel (Gas and Propane)
The ability to run on gas and propane is one of the reasons we chose this generator. With a weight of 200 pounds, it gives out 12KW. To protect its engine, there’s a low-oil feature.
Once the engine oil becomes low, the generator will shut down and never come up until you top up the oil. If you’re the type that forgets to check the engine oil level, you’re covered.
It has a dimension of 27.2 by 26.1 by 26 inches. You can start it with its electric start or recoil start. Both of them are convenient. With a noise level of 72dBA, its sound won’t be a problem.
At 25% load, the engine can run for 17 hours. Another distinctive feature of the device is dual voltages. It offers both 120V and 240V through different outlets. It comes with a pair of wheels, so you can easily push it around.
This model of generator has been certified by CARB and EPA. If you go for this generator, you’ll enjoy its 3-year limited warranty, especially when you’re in line with the terms and conditions of the warranty.
We believe that it is rugged enough to withstand all weather conditions. So, we can guarantee its durability. Its current Amazon rating is 4.3 stars.
- This generator runs on propane and gasoline.
- At quarter load, it will work for 17 hours.
- It comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- The power output of the generator is 12KW.
- It has a dimension of 27.2 by 26.1 by 26 inches and a weight of 200 pounds.
- An Amazon rating of 4.3 stars is fantastic.
- The product has been approved by both EPA and CARB.
- It offers both 120V and 240V.
- The handle and its pair of wheels make for easier mobility.
- The noise level of the power generator is 72dBA.
4. DuroStar DS13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator
The total output of this generator is 13KW. Although it weighs 256 pounds, its two strong wheels make mobility a breeze. You can run it on propane or gasoline, depending on your choice.
It is one of the generators that have been certified by CARB and EPA. Since it is approved in all 50 states of the United States, you can use it anywhere.
Its body is strong enough to remain outside. Ruggedness and durability are the reasons for its high Amazon rating. You’ll agree that an Amazon rating of 4.5 stars is awesome.
The generator can be started through its electric start or recoil start. It has a dimension of 29 by 30 by 26 inches.
- The generator can be started in two ways.
- It weighs 256 pounds.
- The generator has a dimension of 29 by 30 by 26 inches.
- You should be able to power all your appliances with its 13KW output.
- You can fuel it with either propane or gasoline.
- Ruggedness and durability are some of its key features.
- It is certified by both EPA and CARB.
- You can easily push it around because of its strong wheels.
- It has an Amazon rating of 4.5 stars.
- The use of the generator has been approved in all 50 states of America.
5. Champion Power Equipment 100111 15,000/12,000-Watt
This generator gives a wattage of 12KW, and it weighs 330 pounds. Its black and yellow color combination is visually appealing. The generator is fueled with gasoline.
With a full tank, the generator will run for 9 hours. You can use either of its recoil start or electric start. Its 78dBA noise level (at 23 feet away) is fair.
There’s a built-in cold start technology that makes it easy to start in cold weather. There are outlets for 120V and 240V. For safety reasons, it has a surge protector that protects it from a power surge.
It is also protected from overloads and short circuits. These safety features will not only protect the generator, but they will also protect the appliances being powered by the generator.
Its fuel tank capacity is 5.9 gallons. With strong handles and strong wheels, mobility is as simple as ABC. It is made of a durable steel frame that is resistant to corrosion and rust. It has a dimension of 33.6 by 26.6 by 33.3 inches. Finally, it has an Amazon rating of 4.6 stars.
- The generator has a power output of 12KW.
- It weighs 330 pounds.
- The generator is visually appealing.
- Its fuel type is gasoline.
- There are different outlets for 120V and 240V.
- Its fuel tank capacity is 5.9 gallons.
- One safety feature of the generator is its surge protector.
- It has a dimension of 33.6 by 26.6 by 33.3 inches.
- An Amazon rating of 4.6 stars is great.
- It is made of a steel frame.
Do Home Generators Turn on Automatically?
The answer is yes and no. It depends on the size of the generator. Portable generators usually do not start automatically. They often offer two manual starting methods. You can start portable generators through their recoil start by pulling the recoil handle swiftly. Also, you can start portable generators with a key. This is more convenient.
On the other hand, bigger heavy-duty generators, like the Generac 20KW generator, start automatically. That’s why it has to be installed with an automatic transfer switch. However, they may fail to start automatically when there’s a fault. In that case, you have to clear the fault and reset such generators.
Can A Standby Generator Be Used Continuously?
Yes, you can run a standby generator for several hours or days, but after a certain number of hours, you must allow them to rest, depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations. Also, if it runs out of fuel, you have to shut it down to refuel it.
Furthermore, when the engine oil level of a standby generator is low, the generator will automatically shut down and it will never start again until you top up the oil. This is a safety measure to protect the generator.
How to Install A Standby Generator with Automatic Transfer Switch?
Step 1 – Install the generator from all windows and doors at least 5 feet away.
Step 2 – The generator must be placed on a casted concrete pad because of its vibration.
Step 3 – You can then secure the generator on the pad with four strong steel bolts.
Step 4 – Contact a plumber to connect a natural gas line to the generator. That will be its source of fuel.
Step 5 – Run a line-voltage cable to the generator. This is the job of an electrician. Don’t do this yourself if you’re not a certified electrician.
Step 6 – Install a transfer switch near the electrical meter. The function of the switch is to direct electricity from the generator into the house when the generator starts working.
While we encourage you to do a lot of tasks yourself, we don’t think the installation of a standby generator is among. It is better to hire an expert for the installation. Don’t risk the wrong installation.
How Much is An Automatic Home Standby Generator?
Remember that standby generators come in various sizes, designs, and outputs. The most important factor that determines the cost of a generator is its power output. The higher the power output, the higher its cost will be, with all other factors being equal.
For instance, a 22KW generator will cost you more than a 20KW generator. So, if a 20KW can power all your appliances, you don’t need to pay more for a generator with a higher capacity.
The second factor that affects the cost of generators is size. Bigger generators are more expensive than smaller ones. Also, generators of popular brands are costlier than generators built by little-known brands. That being said, we can safely say that the prices of automatic generators begin from $6,750. There’s no cap to it.
How To Install an Automatic Home Standby Generator
Step 1 – Install the generator from all windows and doors at least 5 feet away.
Step 2 – The generator must be placed on casted concrete pad because of its vibration.
Step 3 – You should secure the generator on the pad with bolts.
Step 4 – Let a plumber connect a natural gas line to the generator.
Step 5 – Run a line-voltage cable to the generator.
Step 6 – Connect the generator to the power inlet box.
How to Wire A Standby Generator Automatic Transfer Switch?
This is the easiest part of the installation.
Step 1 – Connect one end of the transfer switch to the load center.
Step 2 – Connect the other end of the transfer switch to the power inlet box.
Step 3 – Connect your generator to the power inlet box.
Buying Guide – How to Choose A Good Automatic Home Standby Generator?
1. It will be a good idea to pick one from this list since they have been tested by our team. We recommend them all.
2. Purchase it from Amazon to get food price deals.
3. If your generator comes with a warranty, study the terms and conditions of the warranty.
4. Install it before its return window closes, so you can return it if there’s any issue with it.
5. Calculate the total power consumption in your house before choosing a generator. You don’t want to purchase a generator that can’t power all your appliances.
We recommend the five generators reviewed above because they are rugged, their noise level is low, they can work for hours non-stop, and their power outputs are high. You can pick any of them.