In recent times, electricity has become one of the necessities of life because most of the appliances that make our lives easier need power to function.
Talk about the TV, microwave, washing machine, dishwasher, heater, air conditioner, laptop, tablet, smartphone, and refrigerator. They all need electricity to function. That’s why electricity is indispensable.
Unfortunately, the cases of natural disasters keep climbing. People cope with landslides, earthquakes, typhoons, hurricanes, and floods in different parts of the world. And when it occurs, the power supply will cease for some days.
So, it is a wise idea to install a reliable standby generator in your home. Once an outage occurs, the generator will kick in automatically.
Since there are so many brands and models of generators, it may be difficult to choose one of them for your residence. This is why we have reviewed some great generators.
You can check their reviews below and make a decision whether to pick one of them or not. Towards the end of the article, we gave tips on how to select a reliable generator for your home. We also selected the best among them.
Are you interested? Then sit back and read through to the very end.
Our Picks of 7 Best Residential Standby Generators:
1. Champion 8.5-kW Residential Standby Generator
This is a heavy-duty generator that can power all the appliances in your home. With a weight of 460 pounds, it gives a total output of 8.5KW. Its dimension of 52.4 by 33.5 by 32.1 inches confirms its huge size.
The voltage of the generator is 120 volts. It also offers dual fueling, and it runs on gasoline and propane. Another quality that we love is its low noise level. The noise level of the generator will never exceed 59.5dBA.
This generator will alert you if anything goes wrong because it runs diagnostic tests on itself. Another feature that should attract you to this generator is its 10-year limited warranty. Only very few appliances offer such a long warranty period.
The product has been rated by only a few users and they gave it a 5-star rating. Of course, we agree with the rating too. The generator gave us a 5-star performance. The body of the generator is rugged and tough, so it can withstand all weather conditions.
- This generator has a 5-star rating on Amazon.
- Its noise level is only 59.5dBA.
- It runs on gasoline and propane.
- We found it easy to maintain.
- It runs self-diagnostic tests regularly.
- The product is tough and durable.
- Its power output is 8.5kw.
- Having a weight of 460 pounds isn’t bad.
- It can withstand all weather conditions.
- The generator comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
2. Generac 70432 Residential/Home Standby Generator
When it comes to standby generators, Generac is a familiar name and a leading brand. And the brand rose to the occasion with this product.
The generator has the capability to supply your home with 22,000 watts (22KW). That is an amazing amount of power. With it, you should be able to power all your appliances without turning off some of them.
Any generator that can dish out this huge output must be a heavy-duty generator. So, we were not surprised when we found its weight to be 525 pounds.
It has a dimension of 48 by 25 by 29 inches. Its voltage is 240 volts. And it comes with a 5-year limited warranty. The LCD display unit of the gen-set shows battery status, and tracks maintenance intervals. This ensures that your generator is in topmost condition always. Finally, it has an Amazon rating of 4.6 stars.
- This generator gives a staggering 22KW.
- Its voltage is 240 volts.
- It has a dimension of 48 by 25 by 29 inches.
- A weight of 525 pounds makes it a heavy-duty generator.
- You’ll monitor its battery status from its LCD unit.
- You don’t want to miss its 5-year limited warranty.
- Its noise level is low.
- The generator conserves fuel too.
- Its aluminum enclosure makes it easy to withstand all weather conditions.
- An amazon rating of 4.6 stars is commendable.
3. Briggs & Stratton 40375 10kW Standby Generator
In our opinion, the most important feature of a generator is the amount of power it generates. That’s why we’re happy to inform you that this masterpiece generates up to 10KW.
It has a dimension of 39by 35.5 by 42 inches. We also believe that its weight of 330 pounds is not too much for the amount of power it generates.
Its voltage is 240 volts. What usually attracts people the most is the unique look of this generator, coupled with its visual appeal.
We love its gray color too. Based on our findings, it is rugged and durable. And it has a 5-year limited warranty. Finally, its Amazon rating of 3.4 stars is a pass mark.
- This generator outputs up to 10KW.
- It is visually appealing and unique.
- It weighs 330 pounds.
- The noise level of the generator is low.
- Its fuel consumption is also low.
- You’ll enjoy its 5-year limited warranty.
- The product has a dimension of 39 by 35.5 by 42 inches.
- It has an Amazon rating of 3.4 stars.
- Voltage: 240 volts.
- The product is rugged and durable.
4. Briggs & Stratton 40637 20kW
This is another generator from the same brand. This one generates 20KW, which is impressive. If your workshop is beside your home, this generator should be able to supply adequate power for both.
A weight of 440 pounds is quite heavy but this should not be a problem since you won’t be moving it around. The generator has a dimension of 50.5 by 33.8 by 30.6 inches.
It is gray in color and has a voltage of 240 volts. Its engine type is 4-stroke. On top of these features, it comes with a 5-year limited warranty that covers parts and labor. You may want to check the details of the warranty.
It operates with low noise and it saves your fuel. With an aluminum enclosure, it can withstand tough weather conditions and it is also resistant to corrosion and rust. You can easily convert its fuel from natural gas to liquid propane. We can assure you of its durability.
- The output of this generator is 20KW.
- Its voltage is 240 volts.
- The appliance comes with a 4-stroke engine.
- Its aluminum enclosure prevents it from corroding.
- It has a dimension of 50.5 by 33.8 by 30.6 inches.
- The generator weighs 440 pounds.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty.
- If necessary, you can easily convert its fuel from natural gas to propane.
- The product is durable.
- And its noise level is low.
5. Generac 5734 GP15000E
This Generac generator outputs 22.5KW. It is more than enough to serve your home. The orange color of the generator will always stand it out among other generators.
You’ll agree that a weight of 373 pounds is fair for a generator that generates up to 22.5KW. It has a dimension of 48.5 by 30.75 by 38.5 inches.
Its voltage is 120 volts and the volume of its tank is 16 gallons. It offers a recoil start and an electric start. Its low-oil sensor will shut down the system when the oil level is low. This helps to protect the system. It conserves fuel and also has a low noise level.
With a 50% load on it, this gen-set will run for up to ten hours. Its wheels make it easy to push it around. So, you can easily push it to your jobsite. Some of its users have testified to its ruggedness and durability. Finally, it has an Amazon rating of 4.3 stars.
- The output of this generator is 22.5KW.
- Its orange color makes it unique.
- The gen-set weighs 373 pounds.
- It has a dimension of 48.5 by 30.75 by 38.5 inches.
- The tank capacity of the generator is 16 gallons.
- With a filled tank, it will run for up to ten hours at half load capacity.
- It is rugged and durable.
- Voltage: 120 volts.
- It has a low-oil shutdown feature.
- Users have given it an Amazon rating of 4.3 stars.
6. A-iPower SUA15000ECV 15000-Watt
This is the first and only generator on our list with four tires. And it dishes out up to 15KW. Its engine type is a 4-stroke engine. You can use either of its electric start or recoil start.
Its fuel tank capacity is eight gallons. And its all-steel construction makes for ruggedness and toughness. It is also resistant to rust and corrosion.
At 50% load, the device can run for up to seven hours. Its fuel efficiency is high and its noise level is relatively low. We can confirm its durability.
It has a weight of 460 pounds but its four wheels make it easy to push it around. It has a dimension of 39 by 31 by 38 inches and it has an Amazon rating of 4.4 stars.
- This generator gives 15KW.
- It comes with four tires for easy mobility.
- Its low-oil feature will shut down the system when its oil level is low.
- The generator conserves fuel.
- Its engine type is 4-stroke.
- There are electric start and recoil start.
- It weighs 460 pounds.
- At 50% load, it can run for up to seven hours.
- The tank capacity is eight gallons.
- It has a dimension of 39 by 31 by 38 inches.
7. Generac 6998 Guardian Series 7.5kW/6kW
This 280-pound generator outputs up to 7.5KW. Its LED indicators will show you the status of the generator and the maintenance required. It is tough, rugged, and it will withstand all weather conditions.
That’s why it is durable. The fuel consumption of the device is pretty low. And so is its noise level too. Three of its sides are removable. This will make installation, cleaning, and service/maintenance easy.
Unfortunately, its battery is not included. The generator has a dimension of 36 by 27 by 25 inches. Also, it has an Amazon rating of 3.8 stars.
- This generator’s output is 7.5KW.
- Having three of its sides removable aids servicing and installation.
- It is rugged, tough, and durable.
- The generator will withstand all weather conditions.
- We noticed that its fuel consumption is low.
- It has a dimension of 36 by 27 by 25 inches.
- The noise level of the generator is also low.
- Its LED indicators will show you the status of the generator and the maintenance required.
- Having an Amazon rating of 3.8 stars is fair.
- It weighs only 280 pounds.
How To Choose The of Size A Residential Standby Generator?
There’s no straight way to achieve this. The size of your depends on the purpose of your buying a generator and the amount of space you have. If you plan to move your generator to your job sites, you’ll need a portable generator that can be moved around quite easily.
On the other hand, if you need a standby generator that will be installed on your property, your choice will depend on the amount of space you have around. Remember, your generator should be installed at least five feet away because of noise and vibration.
Remember that bigger sizes don’t always mean higher output. So, what you should focus more on is the output of your generator. You can now base your choice on the smallest generator that can meet your output needs. For instance, if all you need is 8KW, you can look for the smallest generator that can output 8KW.
How To Choose A Good Residential Standby Generator?
Here are some good tips for choosing a residential generator.
1. Pick from This list
We have tested the generators reviewed above and we can confirm that they are great products. We also recommend the seven of them.
Instead of going into a fresh online search, it might be a good idea to pick one of the generators above. Our reviews are not based on hearsays. Rather, they are based on the qualities we have found.
2. Determine The Amount of Power Required for Your Home
It is better to determine the amount of power you need for your home. Generators come with various power capacities and the higher the power capacity, the more expensive they will be.
Why pay more for the additional power that you don’t need? If an output of 10KW can power your home, why pay more for a generator that gives 12KW? It does not make much sense.
On the other hand, you don’t want to purchase a generator that cannot power your whole home. So, it is necessary to find out your total power needs before you choose a standby generator.
3. Purchase from Amazon
Amazon offers various types of generators at great prices. If you want the best deal for your generator, you’re likely to get it on Amazon.
Besides, the platform has a long track record of selling original products. That’s another reason why we’ll advise you to purchase your generator from Amazon.
4. Check Reviews
It is also a good idea to check customer reviews of your preferred generator before you make financial commitments. You may come across something that you won’t like about the product.
5. Consider Your Space
You don’t want to purchase a generator that is too big for your property. You need to take the dimension of the space you reserved for a generator. It will guide you in choosing the right size for your home.
What is The Best Residential Standby Generator?
Based on our reviews, the best generator in this category is Champion 8.5-kW Residential Standby Generator. First of all, its Amazon rating of 5.0 stars confirms this. Also, it has a low noise level that will not constitute a nuisance in your community. You have two fuel options since it runs on gasoline and propane.
It runs a diagnostic test on itself every week. Most importantly, the generator comes with a 10-year limited warranty. So, it is adjudged to be the best by our team. We recommend it to anyone and everyone. The other six generators are great products as well, but this one is the best.